[ecoop-info] Software Engineering Education Track at ICSE 2010, Capetown: Call for Papers

Mehdi Jazayeri mehdi.jazayeri at unisi.ch
Fri Jul 10 19:57:02 CEST 2009

Software Engineering Education Track at ICSE 2010, Capetown: Call for
Papers

http://www.sbs.co.za/ICSE2010/

Chairs: Carlo Ghezzi (Politecnico di Milano, Italy), Mehdi Jazayeri
(University of Lugano, Switzerland)
Program Committee: see bottom of page

ICSE is the premier forum for researchers, practitioners and educators
to present and discuss the most recent ideas, innovations, trends,
experiences, and concerns in the field of software engineering.

New Horizons is the theme of ICSE 2010.  It acknowledges the need for
software engineering to open to new horizons, by broadening the focus
of research themes and by reaching new communities. As such, an
important goal of this meeting will be to reach out to other
disciplines that have an impact upon or benefit from software
engineering know-how. Because of its location in South Africa, the
meeting will also offer a chance to improve collaboration between the
traditional ICSE attendees and researchers and educators from
developing countries.

Which Education for Software Engineers? Education is a vital mission
for our community in order to meet the challenges of today and,
primarily, those we expect to face in the future. Moreover education
is intimately bound with social and economical factors raising
different questions and problems in different countries. In addition,
collaboration tools are increasingly available to support distributed
multi-team and multi-site project work, through which we all can learn
how worldwide cooperation can break the barriers of space and time,
economy, culture, language, race. The track will be organized to
reflect this diversity through expert presentations and open
discussion sessions. The goal of the educational track is to expose,
analyze, and investigate what is difficult and peculiar about teaching
software engineering and what are the necessary ingredients for
improving our educational activities. We therefore solicit
contributions from the community on problems/questions/open issues/
innovative solutions in teaching software engineering, which will help
us shape the agenda of the educational track for this year and a
roadmap for the future of software engineering education.  The panel/
discussion sessions will provide a forum for selected submitters to
present and discuss their questions and experiences with experts in
the field and with the track participants.

Contributions are invited for papers describing problems, relevant
experiences, and novel insights and solutions in educational
activities. Papers should be at most ten pages long, in the conference
format, and should clearly describe the social-economical-educational
context they refer to, the object of the discussion and the expected
result of the discussion. The paper should explicitly list up to three
main challenges an instructor of software engineering faces today, and
optionally, potential solutions to those problems. Questions/problems
of interest include, but are not restricted to:

	• Software Engineering is about complexity: How/what can we teach
about complexity?
	• Software Engineering is about software. What knowledge should we
assume about software?
	• Software engineering is about collaboration and this increasingly
occurs in a distributed, multi-site way. What are the rules? What
should we say about outsourcing? About the impact of linguistic
differences? How can experience be shared?
	• Software has fundamental impact on societies. Should we address
ethical and other societal issues? How?
	• Software engineering is influenced by organizational and cultural
issues. What culture and organization do we teach for? Should we teach
about culture?
	• Are there different experiences and needs in developing countries?
How can we include the challenges derived from the needs of developing
countries?
	• Are there fundamental issues related to programming languages,
software tools, and infrastructure?
	• Are projects and theory integrated in courses?

We invite top-quality papers on software engineering education in two
categories:
	• Full papers, up to 10 pages, documenting well-articulated and well-
established results,
	• Short papers, up to 4 pages, describing new results that may not
have been fully evaluated yet, but are nonetheless important to share
with the community

Conference Information is available on the conference web site http://icse2010.cs.up.ac.za/

Important Dates
Submission   5 October 2009
Author notification  10 December 2009

Program Committee

Mark Ardis, Rochester Institute of Technology
Yirsaw Ayalew , University of Botswana
Robert France, Colorado Statue University, USA
Carlo Ghezzi, Politecnico di Milano, Italy (co-chair)
Martin Glinz, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Orit Hazzan, Technion, Israel
Pankaj Jalote, IIT Delhi, India
Mehdi Jazayeri, University of Lugano, Switzerland (co-chair)
Kai Koskimies,Tampere University of Technlogy, Finland
Richard LeBlanc, Seattle University, USA
Xiaoxing Ma, Nanjing University, China
Andrew McGettrick, Strathclyde University, UK
Art Pyster, Stevens Institute of Technology, USA
Shingo Takada, Keio University, Japan
Pat Terry, Rhodes University,
Hans van Vliet, Vrije Universiteit, Netherlands
Laurie Williams, North Carolina State University, USA