[ecoop-info] ACM Middleware MW4SOC Workshop Call for Papers

Karl M. Goeschka Karl.Goeschka at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 28 17:10:42 CEST 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS
===============

| 5th Middleware for Service-Oriented Computing (MW4SOC) |
| Workshop at the ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference  |

Nov 29 – Dec 3, 2010
Bangalore, India
http://www.dedisys.org/mw4soc10/

This workshop has its own ISBN and will be included in the ACM digital library.

Important Dates
===============
Paper submission: August 9, 2010 (extended)
Author notification: September 15, 2010
Camera-ready copies: October 1, 2010
Workshop date: November 30, 2010

Call details
============
The initial visionary promise of Service Oriented Computing (SOC) was a
world of cooperating services being loosely coupled to flexibly create
dynamic business processes and agile applications that may span
organisations and heterogeneous computing platforms but can nevertheless
adapt quickly and autonomously to changes of requirements or context.
Today, the influence of SOC goes far beyond the initial concepts of the
original disciplines that spawned it. Many would argue that areas like
business process modelling and management, Web2.0-style applications, data
as a service, and even cloud computing emerge mainly due to the shift in
paradigm towards SOC. Nevertheless, there is still a strong need to merge
technology with an understanding of business processes and organizational
structures.

While the immediate need of middleware support for SOC is evident, current
approaches and solutions still fall short by primarily providing support
for only the intra-enterprise aspect of SOC and do not sufficiently address
issues such as service discovery, re-use, re-purpose, composition and
aggregation support, service management, monitoring, and deployment and
maintenance of large-scale heterogeneous infrastructures and applications.
Moreover, quality properties (in particular dependability and security)
need to be addressed not only by interfacing and communication standards,
but also in terms of actual architectures, mechanisms, protocols, and
algorithms. Challenges are the administrative heterogeneity, the loose
coupling between coarse-grained operations and long-running interactions,
high dynamicity, and the required flexibility during run-time. Recently,
massive-scale and mobility were added to the challenges for Middleware for SOC.

These considerations also lead to the question to what extent
service-orientation at the middleware layer itself is beneficial (or not).
Recently emerging "Infrastructure as a Service" and "Platform as a Service"
offerings, from providers like Amazon, Google, IBM, Microsoft, or from the
open source community, support this trend towards cloud computing which
provides corresponding services that can be purchased and consumed over the
Internet. However, providing end-to-end properties and addressing
cross-cutting concerns like dependability, security, and performance in
cross-organizational SOC is a particular challenge and the limits and
benefits thereof have still to be investigated.

The workshop consequently welcomes contributions on how specifically
service oriented middleware can address the above challenges, to what
extent it has to be service oriented by itself, and in particular how
quality properties are supported.

Topics of interest
==================
* Architectures and platforms for Middleware for SOC.
* Core Middleware support for deployment, composition, and interaction.
* Integration of SLA (service level agreement) and/or technical policy
support through middleware.
* Middleware support for service management, maintenance, monitoring, and
control.
* Middleware support for integration of business functions and
organizational structures into Service oriented Systems (SOS).
* Evaluation and experience reports of middleware for SOC and service
oriented middleware.

Workshop co-chairs
===============
Karl M. Göschka (chair)
Schahram Dustdar
Frank Leymann
Helen Paik
Vladimir Tosic

Organizational chair
====================
Lorenz Froihofer, mw4soc at dedisys.org

Program committee
=================
Paul Brebner, NICTA (Australia)
Gianpaolo Cugola, Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
Walid Gaaloul, Institut Telecom (France)
Harald C. Gall, Universität Zürich (Switzerland)
Nikolaos Georgantas, INRIA (France)
Chirine Ghedira, Univ. of Lyon I (France)
Svein Hallsteinsen, SINTEF (Norway)
Yanbo Han, ICT Chinese Academy of Sciences (China)
Valérie Issarny, INRIA (France)
Mehdi Jazayeri, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Bernd Krämer, University of Hagen (Germany)
Mark Little, JBoss (USA)
Heiko Ludwig, IBM Research (USA)
Hamid Reza Motahari Nezhad, HP Labs (USA)
Nanjangud C. Narendra, IBM Research (India)
Rui Oliveira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Cesare Pautasso, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Fernando Pedone, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Jose Pereira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Florian Rosenberg, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
Giovanni Russello, Create-Net (Italy)
Regis Saint-Paul, CREATE-NET (Italy)
Dietmar Schreiner, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
Bruno Schulze, National Lab for Scientific Computing (Brazil)
Francois Taiani, Lancaster University (UK)
Aad van Moorsel, University of Newcastle (UK)
Roman Vitenberg, University of Oslo (Norway)
Michael Zapf, Universität Kassel (Germany)
Liming Zhu, NICTA (Australia)