[ecoop-info] Phd Student on Evolution of Multi Language Software Systems

Serebrenik, A. a.serebrenik at tue.nl
Tue Apr 19 08:37:24 CEST 2011

The Model-Driven Software Engineering group (MDSE) of Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands) is looking for a PhD student interested in analyzing large and complex multi-language software systems. Recent studies report that about 50% of modern software systems involve more than one programming language. As for single-language (SL) systems, evolution of multi-language (ML) systems can be characterized by steadily increasing lifetime, size, and complexity. Unlike SL systems, however, ML systems also display unique evolutionary phenomena, such as cross-language dependencies and “remnant architecture” due to migration. However, most analysis and visualization methods developed to support understanding the evolution of software systems target single-language systems.

In this project, we aim to study the specific aspects that influence the evolution of such systems, and propose methods and techniques to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of understanding this evolution. We approach this aim by capturing, describing, and quantifying system evolution by means of new structural and behavioural patterns and associated quality metrics. To validate the patterns and metrics involved we will perform statistical and empirical analysis.

We are looking for an excellent candidate who meets the following requirements:

·         a Master of Science degree in computer science, software engineering or related areas;

·         interested in combining theoretical research with system development and empirical studies;

·         a background in software maintenance, parsing techniques or program analysis will be appreciated;

·         creative, proactive team player with good analytical skills

·         good communicative skills in English, both written and oral;

We offer:

·         a full-time temporary appointment for a period of 4 years, with an intermediate evaluation after 10 months;

·         a gross salary of € 2,042 per month in the first year, increasing up to € 2,612 per month in the fourth year;

More information can be obtained from:

·         regarding your application: Mrs. P.J. Evers, HR advisor, e-mail: pzwin at tue.nl<mailto:pzwin at tue.nl>

·         regarding the project content: Dr. A. Serebrenik, tel. +31 (0)247 3595, e-mail: a.serebrenik at tue.nl<mailto:a.serebrenik at tue.nl>

The application should consist of the following parts:

·         a brief letter explaining/motivating your interest in the position;

·         a detailed Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications (if appropriate);

·         a complete list of courses taken and grades obtained (including transcripts of academic records);

·         one-page summary of the MSc thesis;

·         contact details of two referees;

·         proof of English language skills (if applicable);

·         any other relevant information.

Interested candidates are kindly requested to apply at http://jobs.tue.nl/wd/plsql/wd_portal.show_job?p_web_site_id=3085&p_web_page_id=127611&p_order_by=