[ecoop-info] ACM Middleware for Service-Oriented Computing - Call for papers

Karl M. Goeschka Karl.Goeschka at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 28 16:35:56 CEST 2011

CALL FOR PAPERS
===============

| 6th Middleware for Service-Oriented Computing (MW4SOC) |
| Workshop at the ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference  |

Dec 12 – 16, 2011
Lisboa, Portugal
http://www.dedisys.org/mw4soc11/

This workshop has its own ISBN and will be included in the ACM digital library.

Important Dates
===============
Paper submission: August 15, 2011
Author notification: September 29, 2011
Camera-ready copies: October 10, 2011
Workshop date: December 12, 2011

Call details
============
The initial promise of Service Oriented Computing (SOC) was a world of
globally cooperating services being loosely coupled to flexibly create
dynamic business processes and agile applications that may span
organisations and heterogeneous computing platforms but can nevertheless
adapt quickly and autonomously to changes of requirements or context.
Business process modelling and management, Web2.0-style applications, human
computing, context-aware systems, and even cloud computing emerged mainly
due to the paradigm shift towards SOC. Nevertheless, there is still a
strong need to merge technology with an understanding of business processes
and organizational structures.

While the immediate need of middleware support for SOC is evident, current
approaches and solutions still do not sufficiently address issues such as
service discovery, re-use, re-purpose, composition and aggregation support,
service management, monitoring, and deployment and maintenance of
large-scale, heterogeneous, and possibly dynamic infrastructures and
applications. Moreover, quality properties (in particular dependability,
security, and performance) need to be addressed not only by interfacing and
communication standards, but also in terms of actual mechanisms, protocols,
and algorithms. Challenges are the administrative heterogeneity, the loose
coupling between coarse-grained operations and long-running interactions,
high dynamicity, and the required flexibility during run-time. Recently,
massive-scale and mobility were added to the challenges for SOC middleware.

The proposed workshop consequently welcomes contributions on how
specifically service oriented middleware can address the above challenges,
to what extent it has to be service oriented itself, and in particular how
quality properties are supported appropriately.

Topics of interest
==================
The workshop also welcomes work-in-progress, problem statements, and
visionary papers!
The topics of particular interest include, but are not limited to:
* Architectures and platforms for Middleware for SOC.
* Core Middleware support for deployment, composition, and interaction.
* Integration of SLA (service level agreement) and/or technical policy
support through middleware.
* Middleware support for service management, maintenance, monitoring, and
control.
* Middleware support for integration of business functions and
organizational structures into Service oriented Systems (SOS).
* Evaluation and experience reports of middleware for SOC and service
oriented middleware.

Workshop co-chairs
===============
Karl M. Göschka (chair), mw4soc at dedisys.org
Schahram Dustdar
Vladimir Tosic

Program committee
=================
Umesh Bellur, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (India)
Sami Bhiri, DERI (Ireland)
Paul Brebner, NICTA (Australia)
Gianpaolo Cugola, Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
Walid Gaaloul, Institut Telecom (France)
Lorenz Froihofer, Telekom (Austria)
Harald C. Gall, Universität Zürich (Switzerland)
Nikolaos Georgantas, INRIA (France)
Chirine Ghedira, Univ. of Lyon I (France)
Svein Hallsteinsen, SINTEF (Norway)
Peng Han, Congqing Academy of Science (China)
Yanbo Han, ICT Chinese Academy of Sciences (China)
Valérie Issarny, INRIA (France)
Arno Jacobsen, Univ. Toronto (Canada)
Mehdi Jazayeri, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Wouter Joosen, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
Frank Leymann, Univ. Stuttgart (Germany)
Mark Little, JBoss (USA)
Heiko Ludwig, IBM Research (USA)
Edmundo Roberto Mauro Madeira, UNICAMP (Brazil)
Hamid Reza Motahari Nezhad, HP Labs (USA)
Nanjangud C. Narendra, IBM Research (India)
Rui Oliveira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Helen Paik, School of Computer Science and Engineering (Australia)
Cesare Pautasso, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Fernando Pedone, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Jose Pereira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Florian Rosenberg, IBM (USA)
Romain Rouvoy, INRIA (France)
Giovanni Russello, Create-Net (Italy)
Regis Saint-Paul, CREATE-NET (Italy)
Dietmar Schreiner, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
Bruno Schulze, National Lab for Scientific Computing (Brazil)
Stefan Tai, Institut für Angewandte Informatik und Formale
Beschreibungsverfahren - AIFB, Karlsruhe (Germany)
Francois Taiani, Lancaster University (UK)
Eddy Truyen, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium)
Roman Vitenberg, University of Oslo (Norway)
Hiroshi Wada, NICTA (Australia)
Eric Wohlstadter, University of British Columbia (Canada)
Liming Zhu, NICTA (Australia)