[ecoop-info] Call for Cases - Transformation Tool Contest 2013

Louis Rose louis.rose at york.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 10:09:11 CET 2012

Please find below the first announcement of the Transformation Tool Contest 2013.  The deadline for submitting cases is January 21st 2013.  Subsequent deadlines are mentioned below.

A PDF version of this call can be downloaded from http://planet-sl.org/ttc2013/images/userdirs/122/ttc2013/CfC.pdf

Looking forward to your participation,
  Dr. Louis Rose, Lecturer of Enterprise Systems,
  Department of Computer Science, University of York, United Kingdom
  http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~louis

Transformation Tool Contest 2013
http://is.ieis.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/TTC/
Co-located with ICMT 2013 and more, Budapest, Hungary.

1 Scope: Why people who have never heard of transformation tools
  should also submit cases

Today models are used in a wide range of application domains from
biology to logistics, from geographic information systems to
finance, and, of course, also in software engineering.

With more and more models, the requirement naturally arises to
transform (i.e. convert) models into other models. As an example,
consider a tool that requires its input data in a particular
form, but the actual data is only available in another form.
Another popular use case of model transformation is the
simulation of dynamic systems. Here, the model evolves by
successively applying certain rules. For instance, using
state-of-the-art transformation tools, problems such as the
intra-cellular synthesis of proteins have been modeled
successfully.

A (non-exhaustive) list of typical use cases of transformation
tools:

• model synchronisation and merging,

• interoperability and migration,

• model execution and simulation,

• verification (of models or rule sets),

• knowledge extraction.

The Transformation Tool Contest (or TTC) aims at bringing the
people from such problem domains together with the people that
master tools for solving their transformation problems. Since it
is difficult for people unfamiliar with model transformation to
judge whether their problem is appropriate for TTC and, if so, to
specify their problem in a way understandable by model
transformation professionals, the organizing committee (see
below) welcomes any questions in this respect.

2 About TTC

The aim of this event is to compare the expressiveness, the
usability and the performance of graph and model transformation
tools along a number of selected case studies. A deeper
understanding of the relative merits of different tool features
will help to further improve graph and model transformation tools
and to indicate open problems. This contest is the sixth of its
kind (after an AGTiVE 2007 session, as GraBaTs 2008 and 2009
workshops, and as the TTC 2010 and 2011 workshops). For the
fourth time, the contest is co-located with the international
conference on model transformation (ICMT). Teams from the major
international players in the development and use of model
transformation tools are expected to participate again.

3 TTC Procedure

  Phase 1: Case proposal submission In order to facilitate the
  comparison of transformation tools, we are soliciting potential
  case studies. If you have a suitable case study, please
  describe it shortly but as detailed as needed and submit it to
  the online submission system. Cases that have already been
  solved using a particular tool (or general purpose programming
  language) are also very welcome. Please include a reference
  solution for such cases to support the evaluation of the
  correctness of submitted solutions.

  Our program committee will select a small, but representative
  set of case studies to be used for the contest. Case
  descriptions should answer the following questions:

  • What is the context of the case?
 (provide a short description and references)

    – What is the subject to be modeled?
 (what are the input and output modeling languages?)

    – What is the purpose of the models?
 (what are they typically used for from a larger perspective than
      the proposed case study?)

  • What are variation points in the case?
 (divide up your case in core characteristics and extensions)

  • What are the criteria for evaluating the submitted solutions
    to the case?

    – Correctness test: which are the reference input/ouput
      documents (models/graphs) and how should they be used?
      Ideally, a case description includes a testsuite, as well
      as a test driver
 (The test driver can be an online web service, or a local script
      that can be deployed in SHARE[footnote:
See http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/share/.
].)

    – Which transformation tool-related features are important
      and how can they be classified?
 (e.g., formal analysis of the transformation program, rule
      debugging support, ...)

    – What transformation language-related challenges are
      important and how can they be classified?
 (e.g., declarative bidirectionality, declarative change
      propagation, declarative subgraph copying, cyclic graph
      support, typing issues, ...)

    – How to measure the quality of submitted solutions, at the
      design level?
 (e.g., measure the number of rules, the conciseness of rules,
      ...)

  • How can the solutions be evaluated (ranked) systematically
    using information technology?
 Please provide one of the following:

    – a simple spreadsheet (an evaluation form that can be
      aggregated easily[footnote:
See for example
http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/TTC2010/synthesis-evaluation.pdf
.
]),

    – a so-called “classification scheme” in ResearchR[footnote:
See
http://swerl.tudelft.nl/twiki/pub/Main/TechnicalReports/TUD-SERG-2010-10.pdf
.
] (or a similar web 2.0 platform.)

  Please submit at http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ttc2013
  . Your submission should include (i) a case description (in PDF
  format) answering the above questions and (ii) a ZIP archive
  that contains all test artifacts as well as the evaluation /
  ranking instrument.

  Phase 2: Case solution submission All those who like to
  participate in the contest will be asked to choose one or more
  case studies, take their favorite transformation tool and
  submit their solutions. A separate call for solutions will be
  distributed, after the cases have been selected.

  Phase 3: Open peer review The solution reviewing before the
  workshop will be done by other solution submitters. All
  solution submitters have to review three other solutions to the
  case that they have addressed. These reviews will not be
  anonymous, since these reviewers ideally will also be the
  opponents at the workshop. The purpose of the peer reviewing is
  that the participants get as much insight into the competitor's
  solutions as possible and also to raise potential problems.
  Case submitters should be available at this stage to resolve
  conflicting interpretations (if any) about the case
  description.

  Phase 5: Workshop and live contest Besides the presentations of
  the submitted solutions, the workshop will comprise a live
  contest. For more details (such as example cases and solutions
  from previous editions), please consult the TTC website: http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/TTC/

  Phase 6: Post-Proceedings and Journal Papers Case descriptions
  and solution papers have to be resubmitted for the TTC
  post-proceedings. All submissions will be reviewed anonymously
  by our program committee. See http://arxiv.org/html/1111.4407v1
  for the TTC 2010 post-proceedings. Finally, we aim at one
  journal publication per case. Those articles will introduce the
  case and compare the solutions from a high-level perspective.
  Also the results of the evaluation sheets filled in during the
  workshop will be considered. These articles will be compiled
  and edited by the case submitters together with the workshop
  organizers.

4 Important dates

+-------------------------------+--------------------+-----------------+
| Event                         |  Deadline          |  Interval to    |
|                               |                    |  next deadline  |
+-------------------------------+--------------------+-----------------+
+-------------------------------+--------------------+-----------------+
| Call for cases                |  12 December 2012  |  6 weeks        |
| Case submission deadline      |  21 January 2013   |  3 weeks        |
| Call for solutions            |  11 February 2013  |  6 weeks        |
| Solution submission deadline  |  25 March 2013     |  2 weeks        |
| Open peer review deadline     |  8 April 2013      |  3 weeks        |
| Notification                  |  29 April 2013     |  8 weeks        |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Workshop                      |  18-19 June 2013                     |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

5 Committees

5.1 Organizing Committee

• Christian Krause (Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Germany)

• Louis Rose (University of York, United Kingdom)

• Pieter Van Gorp (Eindhoven University of Technology, The
  Netherlands)

5.2 Steering Committee

• Richard Paige (University of York, United Kingdom)

• Arend Rensink (University of Twente, The Netherlands)

• Bernhard Schätz (Technical University Munich, Germany)

• Albert Zündorf (University of Kassel, Germany)

5.3 Program Committee

• Harrie Jan Sander Bruggink (University of Duisburg-Essen,
  Germany)

• Christian Krause (Hasso-Plattner-Institut, Germany)

• Ralf Lämmel (University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany)

• Sonja Maier (Bundeswehr University Munich, Germany)

• Bart Meyers (University of Antwerp, Belgium)

• Anantha Narayanan (Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee)

• Richard Paige (University of York, United Kingdom)

• Arend Rensink (University of Twente, The Netherlands)

• Louis Rose (University of York, United Kingdom)

• Bernhard Schätz (Technische Universität München, Germany)

• Gabriele Taentzer (University of Marburg, Germany)

• Pieter Van Gorp (Eindhoven University of Technolgoy, The
  Netherlands)

• Gergely Várro (Budapest University of Technology and Economics,
  Hungary)

• Jurgen Vinju (Universiteit van Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

• Bernhard Westfechtel (University of Bayreuth, Germany)

• Albert Zündorf (University of Kassel, Germany)