[ecoop-info] Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Software Engineering

Awais Rashid marash at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 15:46:49 CET 2012

Lectureship (Assistant Professor) in Software Engineering
School of Computing & Communications, Lancaster University, UK

Salary:   £31,948 to £44,166
Closing Date:   Friday 20 April 2012
Interview Date:   Thursday 24 May 2012
Reference:  A350
Apply at: http://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=A350

Lancaster’s School of Computing and Communications integrates the University’s long-established research and teaching activities in Computer Science and Communications Engineering.  As part of an investment programme that has already seen us create seven new posts in 2011/12, we now wish to appoint a lectureship (equivalent to assistant professor in North America) in Software Engineering. We particularly encourage those with a multidisciplinary perspective on software engineering and/or those applying software engineering principles in emerging areas such as Cloud Computing, Service Engineering or Adaptive Systems. Note however that we are happy to consider strong applications outside of these areas.

For context, the School’s research spans the following general areas: Communications and Networking, Computer Systems, Intelligent Systems, Software Engineering and Human-Computer Interaction.  We value research that cuts across traditional research fields and encourage multidisciplinary research with high impact.  Our work is applied across a wide range of domains including energy, transport, cyber crime and social computing.

The school is internationally renowned for its research in software engineering, specifically in areas of modular software development (e.g., object-oriented and aspect-oriented approaches), model-driven engineering, service engineering, requirements engineering and software product lines. In the last seven years we have led or participated in several UK and EU research projects in these areas with a collective value of over £ 10m. Our research is conducted in close collaboration with  a range of major software industry organisations and small and medium enterprises across Europe and internationally.

Teaching is equally important to us, and we expect all candidates to be committed teachers and to contribute to the development of our portfolio of courses, including our international partnerships.

Candidates will demonstrate significant promise in their research discipline and a strong record of achievement in their career to date.  Salary levels will range from £31,020 to £44,166 depending on achievements and experience to date.

If you are interested in the post we invite you to contact the Head of School (Prof. Geoff Coulson) for an informal discussion (geoff at comp.lancs.ac.uk; +1524 510306).

Note that this position in one of 5 currently being adveertised. The full set comprises a Chair in Communication/ Networking, and Lectureships in i) Social Computing, ii) Software Engineering, iii) Cyber-security and iv) Communication Systems. We are happy to consider well-qualified candidates outside these areas: in such cases we ask that you apply for the named position that is closest to your area.