[ecoop-info] DADS Track at ACM SAC 2013 Call for papers

Karl M. Goeschka Karl.Goeschka at tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jun 2 20:28:19 CEST 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS
===============

| 8th Track on Dependable and Adaptive Distributed Systems (DADS) |
| of the 28th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'13)         |

March 18 - 22, 2013
Coimbra, Portugal
http://www.dedisys.org/sac13/
http://www.acm.org/conferences/sac/sac2013/

Accepted papers will be published in the ACM conference proceedings and
will be included in the ACM digital library.

Important Dates:
Paper submission: September 21, 2012
Author notification: November 10, 2012
Camera-ready copies: November 30, 2012

Authors are invited to submit original work not previously published, nor
currently submitted elsewhere. Authors submit full papers in pdf format
using the link to the submission site at http://www.dedisys.org/sac13/.
Authors are allowed up to 8 pages, but with more than 6 pages in the final
camera ready, there will be a charge of 80USD per extra page.

Call details
============
While computing is provided by the cloud and services increasingly pervade
our daily lives, dependability is no longer restricted to mission or safety
critical applications, but rather becomes a cornerstone of the information
society. Unfortunately, large-scale, dynamic, and heterogeneous software
systems that typically run continuously, often tend to become inert,
brittle, and vulnerable after a while. The key problem is that the most
innovative systems and applications are the ones that also suffer most from
a significant decrease in dependability when compared to traditional
critical systems, where dependability and security are fairly well
understood as complementary concepts and a variety of proven methods and
techniques is available today. In accordance with Laprie we call this
effect the dependability gap, which is widened in front of us between
demand and supply of dependability, and we can see this trend further
fueled by the demand for resource awareness (including green computing) and
increasing cost pressure.

Among technical factors of dependability, software development methods,
tools, and techniques contribute to dependability, as defects in software
products and services may lead to failure and also provide typical access
for malicious attacks. In addition, there is a wide variety of fault and
intrusion tolerance techniques available, including persistence provided by
databases, redundancy and replication, group communication, transaction
monitors, reliable middleware, cloud infrastructures,
fragmentation-redundancy-scattering, and trustworthy service-oriented
architectures with explicit control of quality of service properties and
service level agreements. Furthermore, adaptiveness is envisaged in order
to react to observed, or act upon expected changes of the system itself,
the context/environment (e.g., resource variability or failure/threat
scenarios) or users' needs and expectations. Provided without explicit user
intervention, this is also termed autonomous behavior or self-properties,
and often involves monitoring, diagnosis (analysis, interpretation), and
reconfiguration (repair). In particular, adaptation is also a means to
achieve dependability and security in a computing infrastructure with
dynamically varying structure and properties.

Topics of interest
==================

* Dependable, Adaptive, and trustworthy Distributed Systems (DADS)
* Architectures, architectural styles, and middleware for DADS
* Protocols for DADS
* Modeling, design, and engineering of DADS
* Foundations and formal methods for DADS
* Applications of DADS
* Evaluations, testing, benchmarking, and case studies of DADS
* Holistic aspects of DADS

Track program co-chairs
===============
Karl M. Goeschka, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
(main contact: dads at dedisys.org)
Rui Oliveira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Peter Pietzuch, Imperial College London (UK)
Giovanni Russello, University of Auckland (New Zealand)

Program committee
=================
Claudio Agostino Ardagna, University of Milan (Italy)
Enrique Armendariz, Universidad Publica de Navarra (Spain)
Jean Bacon, University of Cambridge (UK)
Alberto Bartoli, University of Trieste (Italy)
Stefan Beyer, ITI Valencia (Spain)
Andrea Bondavalli, University of Florence (Italy)
Michael Butler, University of Southampton (UK)
Marco Casassa-mont, HP Labs - Bristol (UK)
Antonio Casimiro, Universidade de Lisboa (Portugal)
Mauro Conti, Universita di Padova (Italy)
Rogerio De Lemos, University of Kent (UK)
Felicita Di Giandomenico, ISTI-CNR, Pisa (Italy)
Naranker Dulay, Imperial College London (UK)
Frank Eliassen, University of Oslo (Norway)
David Eyers, University of Otago (New Zealand)
Paul Ezhilchelvan, Newcastle University (UK)
Jean-Charles Fabre, LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse (France)
Pascal Felber, Université de Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
Lorenz Froihofer, Telekom (Austria)
Christina Gacek, City University (UK)
Ashish Gehani, SRI International (USA)
Kurt Geihs, Universität Kassel (Germany)
Holger Giese, Hasso Plattner Institut (Germany)
Svein Hallsteinsen, SINTEF (Norway)
Matti Hiltunen, AT&T Labs (USA)
Geir Horn, SINTEF (Norway)
Ricardo Jimenez-Peris, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid (Spain)
Rüdiger Kapitza, TU Braunschweig (Germany)
Marc-Ollivier Killijian, LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse (France)
Mikel Larrea, Euskal Herriko Unibersitatea (Spain)
István Majzik, Budapest UTE. (Hungary)
Matteo Migliavacca, University of Kent (UK)
Gero Mühl, University of Rostock (Germany)
Hausi A. Müller, University of Victoria (Canada)
Francesc Daniel Muñoz-Escoí, UP Valencia (Spain)
Marta Patino-Martinez, UP Madrid (Spain)
Fernando Pedone, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Jose Pereira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Guillaume Pierre, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Luís Rodrigues, INESC-ID/IST (Portugal)
Luigi Romano, University of Naples (Italy)
Romain Rouvoy, INRIA (France)
André Schiper, EPFL (Switzerland)
Dietmar Schreiner, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
Elaine Shi, UC Berkeley (USA)
Francois Taiani, Lancaster University (UK)
Richard N. Taylor, University of California, Irvine (USA)
Vladimir Tosic, NICTA (Australia)
Elena Troubitsyna, Åbo Akademi University (Finland)
Sara Tucci Piergiovanni, Università degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza (Italy)
Roman Vitenberg, University of Oslo (Norway)
Nicola Zannone, Technical University of Eindhoven (Netherlands)
Uwe Zdun, Vienna University (Austria)