[ecoop-info] CFP: Transfer13 - The International Workshop on Transfer Learning in Software Engineering (ASE 2013 workshop)

Hezhimin -gmail hezhimin1986 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 10:06:57 CEST 2013

Call for Papers

(Transfer'13) The International Workshop on Transfer Learning in Software Engineering
Silicon Valley, California
http://promisedata.org/transfer/13/

November 12th, 2013

In association with the 28th International Conference on Automated Software Engineering
http://ase2013.org/

About the Workshop
-----------------------

Why is generality so hard to find in software engineering? Do such general principles exist
(and we just have not found them yet)? Or are we doomed to a perpetual revision of all
our coding and management practices for each new project? On this issue, we can identify
two feuding schools of thought. Globalists and localists use different strategies for learning
best practices. Globalists learn lessons once from all data then reuse those lessons at multiple
sites, whereas localists learn best practices many times from local data and use them only at
a single site (which implies that project managers must devote their scant resources to a
"local lessons team" that pursues best local practices).

This workshop will focus on the following issue:
Whose strategy is best for finding project-specific best practices: the globalists or the localists?
Or perhaps it is best to combine both approaches. It is certainly important to learn best practices
from past projects. However, it is just as important to know how to transfer and adapt that
experience to current projects. No project is exactly like previous projects -- hence, the trick is
to find which parts of the past are most relevant and can be transferred into the current project.

Topics
-----------------------

Topics of interest are theoretical foundations and practical approaches related, but not limited,
to the integration of the transfer learning and software engineering. While our focus is on
automatic methods, we are also interested in hybrid human/computer methods.

Submission
-----------------------

We invite submissions in either of the following forms:

-- Research papers presenting novel approaches with new research results (maximum 8 pages including references).
-- Position papers describing new ideas not yet fully developed or preliminary tool support
    (maximum 4 pages including references).

Submitted papers must be written in English, should not have been submitted for review or
published elsewhere, and must conform to the ACM SIG proceedings templates
http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates.

Submissions are accepted via Easy Chair. Submit your paper at
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=transfer13.

Proceedings & Journal Special Issue
-----------------------

Accepted papers will be published in the workshop proceedings and available electronically
via ACM Digital Library within its International Conference Proceedings Series. Authors of best
papers will be invited to submit a revised and extended version of their papers to a journal
special issue, TBD.

Important dates
-----------------------

Aug 18:    Submission date
Sept 15:   Notification of acceptance
Sept 23:   Early registration deadline, ASE 2013 (note approx date. Check on ASE website)
Oct 10:     Final version due (note: hard deadline)
Nov 12:    Workshop date

Organizing Committee
-----------------------
Tim Menzies, West Virginia University (General Chair)
Leandro Minku, The University of Birmingham  (PC Chair)
Ye Yang, Chinese Academy of Sciences (PC Chair)
Zhimin He, Chinese Academy of Sciences (Publicity and Social Media Chair)
Fayola Peters, West Virginia University (Publications Chair)

Program Committee
-----------------------

Ayse Bener,        Ryerson University
Brendan Murphy,    Microsoft Research
Burak Turhan,      University of Oulu
Chris Lokan,       University of New South Wales
David Bowes,       University of Hertfordshire
Ekrem Kocaguneli,  West Virginia University
Federica Sarro,    University College London
Filomena Ferrucci, University of Salerno
Gregory Gay,       University of Minnesota
Harald Gall,       University of Zurich
Jacky Keung,       City University of Hong Kong
Leandro Minku,     The University of Birmingham
Qiang Yang,        Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Sinno Jialin Pan,  Institute for Infocomm Research
Tracy Hall,        Brunel University