[ecoop-info] DUE MONDAY: Most Influential Papers for VL/HCC, Sept 15-19, San Jose, CA

James Lin james.lin at acm.org
Thu May 30 07:32:50 CEST 2013

NOMINATIONS FOR MOST INFLUENTIAL PAPERS
---------------------------------------
VL/HCC 2013
IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing

September 15-19, 2013
San Jose, CA, USA
http://vlhcc.org

DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS
* Monday 3 June 2013
* e-mail to vlhccmip13 at brighton.ac.uk

This year the VL/HCC community is continuing the tradition of honoring
research papers whose appearance in this conference had important
influences on VL/HCC research or commerce. Because having an important
influence can only be determined over time, the papers being nominated
must be from past decades.

We have two award categories for Most Influential Paper:
* 10 years ago (+/-1 year) - fully refereed papers that appeared at:

   - HCC 2002 (Arlington, VA, USA)
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=8108

   - HCC 2003 (Auckland, New Zealand)
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=8908

   - VL/HCC 2004 (Rome, Italy)
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=9450

* 20 years ago (+/-1 year) - fully refereed papers that appeared at:

   - VL 1992 (Seattle, Washington, USA)
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=895

   - VL 1993 (Bergen, Norway)
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=467

   - VL 1994 (St Louis, Missouri, USA)
     http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/mostRecentIssue.jsp?punumber=2947

We need your help in nominating papers from either or both of these
categories that have had a truly important, long-term impact on VL/HCC
research or commerce. This is an important award to our community. It's
a way to help us attain recognition for our field and for the most
important works that have appeared in our conference. We hope it will
also be motivational and inspiring for younger researchers.

To nominate a paper, just send an email containing answers to the
following questions to:

      vlhccmip13 at brighton.ac.uk

The questions/criteria are:

1. VL full paper title and authors (must be a refereed full paper
    at VL, HCC, or VL/HCC - not a keynote, not a panel, not a short
    paper, etc.)
2. What year did the paper appear?
3. What was the paper's big, long-term, or unique impact on VL/HCC
    research or commerce?
4. The paper awarded can win the award in one of these two ways:
    a) It is the only, or first, or first important paper on the
       influential topic.
    b) It is just one of a sequence of papers published in multiple
       places that had a big influence on VL/HCC research or commerce.
       However, if there have been multiple communities where the
       work has been published, the research needs to be strongly
       situated in the VL/HCC community by virtue of many papers on
       the topic having been published at VL/HCC. Of course, the
       nominated paper must satisfy all the other above criteria as
       well.

    Which of the above was it, 4a or 4b? Please explain.

Note: Concrete evidence of impact would be very helpful (e.g.,
Google Scholar citation counts).

Deadline for nominations is:

      MONDAY, JUNE 3, 2013

Many thanks,

John Grundy, John Hosking and John Howse
2013 VL/HCC MIP Task Force

VISIT OUR WEB SITE
http://vlhcc.org/

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK