[ecoop-info] CfP: The Eight IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems, (SASO 2014)

Giacomo Cabri giacomo.cabri at unimore.it
Mon Mar 3 13:01:40 CET 2014

CALL FOR PAPERS

The Eight IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and
Self-Organizing Systems
(SASO 2014)

Imperial College, London (UK); 8-12 September 2014
http://www.iis.ee.imperial.ac.uk/saso2014/

Part of FAS* - Foundation and Applications of Self* Computing Conferences
Collocated with:
The International Conference on Cloud and Autonomic Computing (CAC 2014)
The 14th IEEE Peer-to-Peer Computing Conference

-------------------
    Aims and Scope
-------------------
The aim of the Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing systems conference
series (SASO) is to provide a forum for the foundations of a principled
approach to engineering
systems, networks and services based on self-adaptation and
self-organization. The complexity of current and emerging networks,
software and services, especially
in dealing with dynamics in the environment and problem domain, has led
the software engineering, distributed systems and management communities
to look for
inspiration in diverse fields (e.g., complex systems, control theory,
artificial intelligence, sociology, and biology) to find new ways of
designing and managing
such computing systems. In this endeavor, self-organization and
self-adaptation have emerged as two promising interrelated approaches.

The eight edition of the SASO conference embraces the
inter-disciplinarity and the scientific, empirical and application
dimensions of self-* systems and welcomes
novel results on both self-adaptive and self-organizing systems
research. The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- Self-* systems theory: theoretical frameworks and models;
biologically- and socially-inspired paradigms; inter-operation of self-*
mechanisms;
- Self-* systems engineering: reusable mechanisms, design patterns,
architectures, methodologies; software and middleware development
frameworks and methods, platforms
and toolkits; hardware; self-* materials;
- Self-* system properties: robustness, resilience and stability;
emergence; computational awareness and self-awareness; reflection;
- Self-* cyber-physical and socio-technical systems: human factors and
visualization; self-* social computers; crowdsourcing and collective
awareness;
- Applications and experiences of self-* systems: cyber security,
transportation, computational sustainability, big data and creative
commons, power systems.

Contributions must present novel theoretical or experimental results;
novel design patterns, mechanisms, system architectures, frameworks or
tools; or practical
approaches and experiences in building or deploying real-world systems
and applications. Contributions contrasting different approaches for
engineering a given
family of systems, or demonstrating the applicability of a certain
approach for different systems, are equally encouraged. Where relevant
and appropriate, accepted papers
will also be encouraged to submit accompanying papers for the Demo or
Poster Sessions.

--------------------
    Important Dates
--------------------
Abstract submission: May 2, 2014
Paper submission: May 09, 2014
Notification: June 21, 2014
Camera ready copy due: July 18, 2014
Early registration: August 22, 2014
Conference: September 8 - 12, 2014

----------------------------
    Submission Instructions
----------------------------
All submissions should be 10 pages and formatted according to the IEEE
Computer Society Press proceedings style guide and submitted
electronically in PDF format.
Please register as authors and submit your papers using the SASO 2014
conference management system, which is located at:

https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=saso2014

The proceedings will be published by IEEE Computer Society Press, and
made available as a part of the IEEE digital library. Note that a
separate call for poster submissions
has also been issued.

--------------------
    Review Criteria
--------------------

Papers should present novel ideas in the cross-disciplinary research
context described in this call, clearly motivated by problems from
current practice or applied research.
We expect both theoretical and empirical contributions to be clearly
stated, substantiated by formal analysis, simulation, experimental
evaluations, comparative studies, and so on.
Appropriate reference must be made to related work. Because SASO is a
cross-disciplinary conference, papers must be intelligible and relevant
to researchers who are not
members of the same specialized sub-field. Authors are also encouraged
to submit papers describing applications. Application papers are
expected to provide an indication of the real world relevance of the
problem
that is solved, including a description of the deployment domain, and
some form of evaluation of performance, usability, or comparison to
alternative approaches. Experience papers
are also welcome but they must clearly state the insight into any aspect
of design, implementation or management of self-* systems which is of
benefit to practitioners and the SASO community

-------------------
    Program Chairs
-------------------

Ada Diaconescu