[ecoop-info] CfP: Special Issue on Collective Adaptive Systems

Giacomo Cabri giacomo.cabri at unimo.it
Tue Sep 9 17:10:33 CEST 2014

Scalable Computing Practice and Experience
Special Issue on Collective Adaptive Systems

Collective Adaptive Systems (CAS) is a broad term that describes large
scale systems that comprise of many units/nodes, each of which may have
their own individual properties, objectives and actions. Decision-making
in such a system is distributed and possibly highly dispersed, and
interaction between the units may lead to the emergence of unexpected
phenomena. CASs are open, in that nodes may enter or leave the
collective at any time, and boundaries between CASs are fluid. The units
can be highly heterogeneous (computers, robots, agents, devices,
biological entities, etc.), each operating at different temporal and
spatial scales, and having different (potentially conflicting)
objectives and goals, even if often the system has a global goal that is
pursued by means of collective actions. Our society increasingly depends
on such systems, in which collections of heterogeneous ‘technological’
nodes are tightly entangled with human and social structures to form
‘artificial societies’. Yet, to properly exploit them, we need to
develop a deeper scientific understanding of the principles by which
they operate, in order to better design them.
The special issue will feature articles that concern different and
interdisciplinary aspects of collective adaptive systems, as specified
in the following list of topics.

Topics:
Areas of interest for this special issue include, but are not limited to:
• Novel theories relating to operating principles of CAS
• Novel design principles for building CAS systems
• Insights into the short and long term adaptation of CAS systems
• Insights into Emergent Properties of CAS
• Insights into general properties of large scale, distributed CAS
• Methodologies for studying, analysing and building CAS
• Frameworks for analysing or developing CAS
• Case-studies/Scenarios that can be used to investigate CAS properties

Important dates:
• Submission: December 15th, 2014
• Author notification: January 31st 2015
• Revised papers (for major revisions): February 28th 2015
• Author notification (for major revisions): April 15th, 2015
• Camera Ready papers due: May 15th, 2015
• Expected publication: September, 2015

Submission:
The special issue seeks original, unpublished work on technologies
enabling collaboration. The authors of the best papers form
FoCAS at SASO2014 will be invited to submit an extended version to this
special issue.
The SCPE journal has a rigorous peer-review process and papers will be
sent to at least two independent referees. Papers that do not merit
publication (for any reason) can be rejected by the Special Issue
Editors without further review.
Submitted papers must be formatted according to the journal's
instructions, which can be found at:
http://www.scpe.org/index.php/scpe/about/submissions#authorGuidelines

Special issue guest editors:
• Prof. Giacomo Cabri. Università di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italy,
giacomo.cabri at unimore.it
• Prof. Emma Hart. Napier University, UK, E.Hart at napier.ac.uk

--