[ecoop-info] CfP: CONTEXT-AWARE APPLICATIONS AND SERVICES Special issue of the The Scientific World Journal

Giacomo Cabri giacomo.cabri at unimo.it
Mon Jan 12 13:04:34 CET 2015

CONTEXT-AWARE APPLICATIONS AND SERVICES
Special issue of the The Scientific World Journal

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/si/157274/cfp/

Call For Papers

Deadline: Friday, 17 April 2015

The development of ubiquitous applications and services tailored to the
needs and expectations of a very large number of potential users
(especially mobile users) requires future systems to be aware of the
service fruition contexts and possibly of accurate user profiles.
Indeed, the availability of many raw and often unrelated services can be
all but useful to the user, who is typically flooded with so many pieces
of information (advices, advertisements, sales opportunities, etc.) that
picking up what she/he really needs turns out like finding a needle in a
haystack. Context-aware applications may be able to exploit the
knowledge of the logical and physical surroundings where the user’s
client is operating and possibly also a profile of the users themselves,
in order to deliver controlled amounts of high quality
information.

Clearly, this poses a number of challenging research problems: gathering
context data, often under real-time constraints; organizing such data in
memory efficient information structures (say relational or graph-based
structures); retrieving, filtering, and delivering to users small
amounts of information appropriate to their current needs, again under
time pressure.

The overall goal of the special issue is to solicit and publish
high-quality papers that present innovative methodologies and techniques
to efficiently and effectively support the dependent services and
applications. We welcome both theoretical and applied papers in the
field. Priority will be given to innovative proposals that push the
boundaries of context exploitation towards a broader idea of context,
including (among others) the modeling of the external environment, the
users’ profile, and the history of the actions
performed by them. Moreover, survey-like papers presenting studies of
relevant state-of-the-art will also be considered.

Original papers are invited from academic and industrial researchers
active in the communities of database and information systems,
information retrieval, semantic web, algorithms and protocols for mobile
devices, mobile software development, distributed services, and mobile
computing.

Topics
------

Potential topics include, but are not limited to:

* Models and techniques for the representation of contexts

* Storage solutions, data structures, and algorithms suitable for the
efficient
handling of contexts (access, dynamic update, learning, etc.)

* Data management techniques enabling context exploitation and content
personalization

* Semantic analysis techniques for context information understanding and
exploitation

* Semantic techniques for context-aware services

* Software and platforms supporting (mobile) context-dependent applications

* Middleware for context-aware applications and services

* User profiling techniques

* Application and evaluation of context-aware techniques toward
significant test
scenarios, including context-aware advertising, proactive applications and
ebooks, smart help-desk solutions, ambient intelligence, assisted
living, and
pervasive/ubiquitous applications

Submissions and Important dates
-------------------------------

Authors can submit their manuscripts via the Manuscript Tracking System at
http://mts.hindawi.com/submit/journals/tswj/computer.science/caas/.

Guidelines for preparing your submission can be found at
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/guidelines/.

Manuscript Due Friday, 17 April 2015
First Round of Reviews Friday, 10 July 2015
Expected Publication Date Friday, 4 September 2015

The articles of The Scientific World Journal are indexed in more than 60
databases/resources; please refer to
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/ai/
for a full list.

Lead Guest Editor

Riccardo Martoglia, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy

Guest Editors

Giacomo Cabri, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Sergio Ilarri, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Ichiro Satoh, National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo, Japan

--