[ecoop-info] EAPLS PhD Award 2014 - Call for Nominations
arend.rensink at utwente.nl
Wed Mar 4 15:46:55 CET 2015
EAPLS PhD Award 2014: Call for Nominations
The European Association for Programming Languages and Systems has established a
Best Dissertation Award in the international research area of programming
languages and systems. The award will go to the PhD student who in the previous
period has made the most original and influential contribution to the area. The
purpose of the award is to draw attention to excellent work, to help the career
of the student in question, and to promote the research field as a whole.
Eligible for the award are those who successfully defended their PhD
* at an academic institution in Europe
* in the field of Programming Languages and Systems
* in the period from 1 November 2013 – 31 December 2014
Candidates for the award must be nominated by their supervisor.
Nominating a candidate consists of submitting the thesis to
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=eaplsphd2014. The nomination must be
accompanied by (a zip file containing)
* a letter from the supervisor describing why the thesis should be
considered for the award;
* a report from an independent researcher who has acted as examiner
of the thesis at its defense.
The theses will be evaluated with respect to originality, influence, relevance
to the field and (to a lesser degree) quality of writing.
The nominations will be evaluated and compared by an international committee of
experts from across Europe. The procedure to be followed is analogous to the
review phase of a conference. The justification by the supervisor and the
external report will play an important role in the evaluation.
Members of the expert committee are barred from nominating their own PhD
students for the award.
The award consists of a certificate announcing the winner to have received the
EAPLS PhD award 2014. The supervisor will receive a copy of this certificate. If
possible, the certificate will be handed out ceremonially at a suitable
occasion, as for instance the ETAPS conference.
Apart from the winner, no further ranking of nominees will be published. The
decision of the expert committee is final and binding, and will not be subject
31 March 2015: Deadline for nominations
31 July 2015: Announcement of the award winner
The Expert committee includes:
* Eerke Boiten, University of Kent, U.K.
* Mark van den Brand, Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands
* Paolo Ciancarini, Universita di Bologna, Italy
* Stefano Crespi Reghizzi, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
* Kei Davis, Los Alamos National Laboratory, U.S.A.
* Mariangiola Dezani, Universita di Torino, Italy
* Josuka Díaz-Labrador, Universidad de Duesto, Spain
* Marko van Eekelen, Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen, The Netherlands
* Giorgio Ghelli, University of Pisa, Italy
* Sabine Glesner, Technische Universität Berlin
* Stefan Gruner, University of Pretoria, South Africa
* Kevin Hammond, University of St Andrews, U.K.
* Martin Hofmann, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany
* Paul Klint, CWI and University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
* Jens Knoop, Technische Universität Wien, Austria
* Ralf Lämmel, University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany
* Rita Loogen, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany
* Tiziana Margaria, University of Potsdam, Germany
* Greg Michaelson, Heriot-Watt University , Edinburgh, U.K.
* Alan Mycroft, University of Cambridge, U.K.
* Ricardo Peña, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
* Arnd Poetzsch-Heffter, Technische Universität Kaiserslautern, Germany
* Arend Rensink, Universiteit Twente, The Netherlands
* Bernhard Steffen, Technische Universität Dortmund, Germany
* Baltasar Trancon Widemann, Technische Universität Ilmenau, Germany
* Peter Van Roy, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
More information about the ecoop-info