[ecoop-info] Post-doctoral Position at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium

Elisa Gonzalez Boix egonzale at vub.ac.be
Thu Feb 4 20:02:48 CET 2016

The Software Languages Lab of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Belgium has an opening for a post-doctoral researcher in the field of programming technology for complex concurrent systems. The position is a full-time position for a term of 12 up to 48 months. The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.

https://soft.vub.ac.be/soft/news/post-doctoral-position-programming-technology-complex-concurrent-systems

Job Description

We are looking for somebody that helps us explore language support that captures the interaction amongst concurrency models in order to deliver the concepts needed to support tools. In particular, we are interested in debugging tools that assist developers in finding errors, and improving program comprehension. Developing such tools is hard since the mere presence of a debugger may affect the way in which the program behaves. Thus, tools need to minimize their interference with program execution while avoiding hiding concurrency issues. Working in collaboration with our project partner in Austria, you will study how to support various concurrent models on the design of a high-level programming language, and develop debugging support on top of it. You will take a leading role in the research project and its outcomes.

We seek a highly motivated researcher with the aforementioned expertise and knowledge of at least one dynamic language. Candidates require a PhD degree in Computer Science, and very good knowledge of English. In addition to the research on this project, the responsibilities of a post-doc at our lab also include advising Master and PhD students, and actively helping the lab procure new research grants. Depending on your interests and qualifications, responsibilities can also include more networking with industry or a modest teaching duty. A period at our lab is an ideal stepping stone for a career as an independent researcher in academia or industry.

The Team

The Software Languages Lab is headed by professors Viviane Jonckers, Wolfgang De Meuter, Elisa Gonzalez Boix, and Coen De Roover. We employ 2 teaching assistants, 5 post-doctoral and 20 pre-doctoral researchers. The lab is active in the design, implementation and application of better languages and tools to support the software engineering process.

We can offer:
- academic challenges in an international environment. As we host researchers of various nationalities, our working language is English.
- a well-connected lab which frequently collaborates with colleagues in France, Colombia, Germany, Austria, and Japan.
- state-of-the-art offices and computing equipment, as well as opportunities for travel to top-tier conferences.
- a stipend that suffices to live very comfortably in Brussels. The monthly net salary for a post-doc in Belgium varies between 2200-2500 euro, depending on age and qualifications.
- an informal and friendly workplace on a green campus in the de facto capital of Europe.

For details on our lab and our university, see http://soft.vub.ac.be/soft/ and http://www.vub.ac.be/en/.

Application

Applications can be sent to Prof. Elisa Gonzalez Boix, principal investigator of the project (egonzale AT vub.ac.be) before March 15, 2016.

The application should include:

- Detailed curriculum vitae (including the list of publications and previous positions held).
- Copy of your Ph.D. dissertation and Ph.D. diploma with annexes (no need for official translations of the diploma).
- A one-page research vision related to the project.
- Copy of one (co-)authored paper relevant to this position.
- A list of three references (with e-mail addresses).
- Earliest available starting date. This is negotiable during a Skype conversation in case you are selected.

-----
Elisa Gonzalez Boix
Professor of Computer Science
Software Languages Lab (SOFT)
Department of Computer Science (DINF)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
Office 10F740 - Pleinlaan 2 - 1050 Brussels
+ 32 2 629 34 90
egonzale at vub.ac.be
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~egonzale