[ecoop-info] Part-time position (40%) as professor in computer science - Software Languages Lab in Brussels
Coen De Roover
cderoove at vub.ac.be
Mon Mar 14 03:44:47 CET 2016
The computer science department of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel is offering a part-time position as professor to reinforce its software languages and software engineering branch. The position is published under the heading:
WE/2016/003 - Senior Academic Staff - 40% – Computer Science / Software Languages
on the university's job offers website located at http://vub.talentfinder.be.
The planned starting date for this position is October 1st, 2016. Contract duration is 3 academic years. The deadline for applying is April 2nd, 2016. Applications should reach us through the website. The person to contact for further information is:
Wolfgang De Meuter
Software Languages Lab
email: wdmeuter at vub.ac.be
phone: +32 2 629 34 81
** Function **
The candidate is expected to reinforce the Software Languages Lab (SOFT – http://soft.vub.ac.be) and contribute to the domain of “software language engineering”. More particularly, we are looking for a candidate who has expertise in implementation technology for supporting innovative programming paradigms, with a strong focus on studying and improving the runtime performance of said paradigms. The emphasis has to lie on non-standard execution platforms such as muticore systems, mobile systems, the Internet-of-Things, Cloud&Data centres and/or HPC cluster platforms. Keywords are a.o. virtual machines, memory management, garbage collection, scheduling techniques, cache-aware software and performance analysis.
The assignment that corresponds to a 40% appointment consists of teaching a number of general computer science courses at the bachelor level or specialised courses at the master level. The exact list of courses will depend on the expertise of the candidate and will be negotiated with the candidate. The candidate’s teaching profile has to fit the teaching philosophy of the VUB’s bachelor and master programs in computer science. More information can be found on the website of the programs. Apart from this teaching assignment, the candidate will also participate in guiding students for programming projects, bachelor theses as well as master theses.
At the bachelor level, the candidate should be able to teach in Dutch (or he/she must be willing to learn Dutch in a relatively short period). At the master level, the candidate should be able to teach in English.
The selected candidate is also expected to contribute to the supervision of Ph.D. and M.Sc. students, and to launch and seek funding for new research projects.
The selected candidate must be available at the university for a period that corresponds to two days per week.
** Profile **
- Ph.D. in Computer Science with a master background in Computer Science.
- The research culture of the Software Languages Lab has a strong tradition in dynamic languages that are supported by interpreters or virtualized runtime platforms. The candidate should fit in this culture. He/she has to extend the expertise of the lab in the direction of the implementation layers of the software stack. The candidate has an excellent academic track record with a publication history that demonstrates affinity with the aforementioned research culture.
- He/she has experience with guiding PhD and/or master students. He/she has a proven track record (or demonstrable potential) for launching new research and for seeking the funds to support it.
- Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Every first appointment is dependent upon the successful delivery of a teaching session.
** Additional Information **
- The opportunity exists to combine the 40% faculty position with a 60% researcher position on running projects such that the candidate has a full-time position in the Software Languages Lab. Alternatively, the 40% faculty position can be combined with a position at another research lab, as long as a sufficient availability of the candidate for the Software Languages Lab is guaranteed.
- Applications should be submitted through
More information about the ecoop-info