[ecoop-info] Programming Language Implementation Summer School (PLISS)

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Wed Feb 22 10:45:55 CET 2017

         Programming Language Implementation Summer School (PLISS)

                      May 20-27, 2017, Bertinoro Italy

                        https://pliss2017.github.io/

Programming languages are our interface to the myriad of computer systems we
interact with on a daily basis. They allow us to craft complex sequences of
operations at increasing high levels of abstraction. How are these languages
designed? How are they implemented? How do we evaluate them?

The First Programming Language Implementation Summer School (PLISS) will be
held in Bertinoro, Italy from May 20 to 27, 2017. The Summer School's goal
is to prepare early graduate students and advanced undergraduates for
research in the field. This will be done through a combination of lectures
on language implementation techniques and short talks exploring the state of
the art in programming language research and practice.

Lectures cover current research and future trends in programming language
design and implementation, including:
 * Writing Just-in-time Compilers with LLVM
 * Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking
 * Designing a Commercial Actor Language
 * High-Performance Fully Concurrent Garbage Collection
 * Compiling Dynamic Languages
 * Language-support for Distributed Datastores

The instructors are accomplished researchers and practitioners with extensive
experience designing and engineering successful languages and tools.

We gratefully acknowledge the support of our sponsors in allowing us to make
travel grants and fellowships available to support students interested in
attending PLISS.

More details at https://pliss2017.github.io/