[ecoop-info] RV-CuBES Deadline Extension

Klaus Havelund compscience.announcement at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 07:11:15 CEST 2017

RV-CuBESAn International Workshop on Competitions, Usability, Benchmarks,
Evaluation, and Standardisation for Runtime Verification ToolsHeld in
conjunction with the 17th International Conference on Runtime Verification
(RV 2017)

http://rv2017.cs.manchester.ac.uk/rv-cubes/

The goal of this workshop is to provide a venue to discuss ongoing efforts
to improve how we evaluate and compare tools for runtime verification. This
workshop invites submissions that contribute to this discussion (see
below). The workshop replaces the Runtime Verification Competition this
year, giving an opportunity for reflection and planning for the future.

*HIGHLIGHTS*

   - We invite two kinds of submissions: tool overview papers of
*existing* tools
   and position papers
   - Attendance at the workshop *is not compulsory* for submission, but
   encouraged
   - The workshop will be integrated into RV 2017 to engage with the wider
   RV community

*BACKGROUND*

Over the last three years, beginning in 2014, the Competition on Runtime
Verification (CRV) has compared 14 different runtime verification tools
using over 100 different benchmarks. It has motivated the development of
new tools and extensions of existing ones. Thanks to the time and effort of
the various organisers and participants it has successfully provided a
platform to discuss how we evaluate and compare our tools. However, we are
aware that the competition has not served all members of the community and
required significant effort from its participants and therefore we have
decided not to run the competition in the same form in 2017.

This workshop has two aims.

   - Firstly, to kickstart an online repository of tool descriptions that
   focus on usability, rather than implementation. Much effort within Runtime
   Verification is spent developing tools. The planned repository will help
   advertise these tools within and beyond the community and to document their
   existence. To this end, this workshop invites tool overview papers (details
   below) that present an opportunity to demonstrate the diverse range of
   available RV tools and to advertise their advanced features and
   capabilities.
   - Secondly, to provide a forum in which the future of the competition,
   and wider efforts to improve how we evaluate RV tools, can be discussed in
   a structured and informed way. There have been various informal discussions
   at the previous three RV conferences and in other settings. By inviting
   position papers (details below) this workshop aims to establish the issues
   and possible directions before holding a structured panel session during RV
   2017.

*RELATION TO RV 2017*

There is no overlap in scope between this workshop and RV 2017. Any papers
containing original technical developments should be submitted to RV 2017
rather than this workshop as the workshop focuses on tool reviews
(containing existing work) and position statements. If there is any
uncertainty please contact the workshop chairs.

The workshop will be integrated into RV 2017. The workshop activities will
include a poster presentation session and a panel decision, both of which
will be scheduled within the main conference program. A consequence of this
is that there will be no separate registration for the workshop. To attend
the workshop activities it will be necessary to attend RV 2017. Although,
attendance is not a requirement for submission.

*SUBMISSIONS*

We invite two forms of submission: Tool Overview papers and Position
papers. All submissions will be subject to a lightweight review by the PC
to ensure a reasonable standard and to provide constructive feedback to
improve the quality of the submission.

*Tool Overview Papers*

These should describe an existing tool using a minimum of 5 pages. The
paper should at least describe how to obtain the tool, the RV problem the
tool is aiming to solve, the key defining features of the tool and relevant
references. Additionally, we might expect it to include some of the
following:

   - The history of the tool
   - High-level overviews of key aspect such as the input language or
   architecture from a user’s perspective
   - Usability details undocumented elsewhere
   - Examples demonstrating key features
   - Details of case studies or applications to real world problems
   - Discussion of features particular to the tool
   - Summaries (rather than detailed tables) of experimental results
   - Analysis of the kinds of problem the tool is suited for and those it
   is less-well suited for

Ideally, the tool and related material (e.g. benchmarks) will be available
online and linked to in the submission. The paper should not cover any
significant new contributions (these can be submitted as tool papers to RV
2017) and should rely on previous research and tool papers to provide
further details. Note that there is no upper page limit however the number
of pages used should reflect the level of detail given. Submissions of 2
pages giving minimal details would be suitable in a situation where the
tool is well documented elsewhere but an entry in the repository is still
desired. All accepted submissions will be invited for presentation at a
special Poster session during RV 2017.

*Position papers*

Initial submissions should use a minimum of 2 pages to explore a particular
position related to the evaluation, comparison or standardisation of
Runtime Verification tools (and benchmarks). Topics may include, but are
not limited to:

   - What should a RV benchmark look like?
   - Can we have a common specification language for RV? If so, what should
   it look like?
   - Is execution time the most important performance criteria? What might
   be more important?
   - How can we evaluate hardware monitoring tools?
   - What are we doing wrong in evaluation? Can we fix this?
   - What can be borrowed form other communities?

A selection of position papers will be used to structure a discussion panel
to be held at RV 2017. Again, there is no upper page limit however the
number of pages used should reflect the level of detail given. There will
be an opportunity to update the paper based on discussions before inclusion
in post-proceedings (see below).

*Publishing and Submission*

Contributions will be published as a post-proceedings volume in the
Open-Access Scopus-Indexed EasyChair Kalpa
<http://www.easychair.org/publications/Kalpa>Series. To be eligible for
inclusion in the post-proceedings, papers should be at least 5 pages.
Please see the relevant information for authors
<http://www.easychair.org/publications/for_authors> when preparing your
paper.

Please submit contributions to the following EasyChair page.

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=rvcubes2017

*DATES*

   -  Submission Deadline 1 July 2017
      - Abstracts: 8 July 2017
      - Final Submission: 15 July 2017
   - Notification 1 August 2017
   - Workshop at RV 2017 13-16 September 2017
   - Post-proceedings deadline 14 October 2017

*ORGANISATION*

For local and general organisation please see RV 2017.

*Program Committee Chairs*

Giles Reger, University of Manchester, UK
Klaus Havelund, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, USA

*Program Committee*

Ezio Bartocci, TU Wien, Austria
Domenico Bianculli, SnT Centre – University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Borzoo Bonakdarpour, McMaster University, Cananda
Christian Colombo, University of Malta, Malta
Ylies Falcone, Univ. Grenoble Alpes, Inria, Laboratoire d’Informatique de
Grenoble, France
Adrian Francalanza, University of Malta, Malta
Sylvain Hallé, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi, Canada
Felix Klaedtke, NEC Europe Ltd.
Daniel Thoma, University of Lübeck, Germany
Dmitriy Traytel, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
Gordon Pace, University of Malta, Malta
Cesar Sanchez, IMDEA Software Institute, Spain
Leonardo Mariani, University of Milano Bicocca, Italy
Julien Signoles, CEA LIST, France
Tarmo Uustalu, Tallin University of Technology, Estonia