[ecoop-info] Post-doc positions at the Software Languages Lab in Brussels

Wolfgang De Meuter wdmeuter at vub.ac.be
Fri Mar 24 16:33:33 CET 2017

The Software Languages Lab of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel is welcoming applications for a vacant post-doc position in **advanced distributed programming technologies**.

Our group is located on a green campus in the de facto capital of Europe. It is headed by professors Viviane Jonckers, Wolfgang De Meuter, Elisa Gonzalez Boix, and Coen De Roover. As we host researchers of various nationalities, our working language is English. We are well-connected and frequently collaborate with our colleagues in France, Colombia, Germany, Austria, Japan and Cuba. The lab is well-equipped with state-of-the-art computing machinery and encourages its researchers to attend top-tier conferences regularly. Most importantly, the lab fosters an open and diverse working atmosphere.

We are looking for a highly-motivated researcher with the aforementioned expertise. The responsibilities of a post-doc at our lab include advising Master and PhD students, coordinating and contributing to the research on ongoing projects, and actively helping the lab procure new research grants. Depending on your interests and qualifications, responsibilities can also include more networking with industry or a modest teaching duty. A period as a post-doc at our lab is an ideal stepping stone for a career as an independent researcher in academia or industry.

We are looking for someone who is interested to do research in the programming related aspects of distributed systems (languages, tools, frameworks, ...) in the context of domains such as smart grids, rich internet applications, cyber physical systems, internet of things, mobile cloud computing, …. Candidates with an interest in distributed programming using advanced modern software stacks (Elixir, Scala, Erlang, TypeScript, …) are especially welcome!

For details on our work and our university, see http://soft.vub.ac.be/soft/ and http://www.vub.ac.be/en/.

The monthly net salary for a post-doc in Belgium varies between 2200-2500 euro, depending on age and qualifications.
This is more than ample for a comfortable life in Brussels.
Contributions to social security etc. will be covered by the gross salary.

The position is available now, and will remain open until filled. The position is initially for 12 months, but can be prolonged to a maximum of 3 years.
Candidates require a PhD degree in Computer Science, proven research related to this call, and excellent knowledge of English.

Applications can be sent to Wolfgang De Meuter and should include:
- curriculum vitae with a list of publications and previous positions held
- digital copy of the Ph.D. dissertation
- digital copy of an authored paper demonstrating some of the expected expertise
- e-mail addresses of two academic referees that we can contact for a reference