[ecoop-info] Research positions on privacy engineering in the imec-DistriNet group - KU Leuven, Belgium

Kim Wuyts kim.wuyts at cs.kuleuven.be
Tue May 30 10:50:12 CEST 2017

RESEARCH POSITIONS ON PRIVACY ENGINEERING - IMEC-DISTRINET, KU LEUVEN, BELGIUM

We are looking for new colleagues to strengthen our research team working on secure software, with a specific focus on privacy engineering.
The research positions can definitely lead to a PhD trajectory in computer science, but this is not a mandatory track for interested candidates who wish to apply for this position.

imec-DistriNet is an international research group embedded in the Department of Computer Science of the KU Leuven. imec-DistriNet is a core research group in the imec High Impact Initiative “Distributed Trust” focussing on Security and Privacy in ICT. With a headcount of over 80 researchers we have built up expertise on a wide range of topics such as middleware for cloud computing, internet architectures, network and software security, and software for embedded systems and smart devices, as well as new internet services. For more information about our ongoing research projects and other open positions, visit us at distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be <http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/>.

RESEARCHER: METHODS FOR PRIVACY ENGINEERING

The new EU data protection regulation imposes high demands related to privacy, in fact on all software systems. There are however still many open research questions related to the integration of privacy in the software development lifecycle. We currently focus on a number of these research challenges, including:

	• Methodological support for privacy-driven software engineering
	• Privacy-by-design: privacy throughout the software development lifecycle
	• Privacy impact assessments (PIA)
	• Decision and trade-off support for threat elicitation and mitigation
	• Taxonomy of privacy-enabling solutions for software architectures
	• Privacy impact assessments and mitigation support for existing/legacy systems
	• Integration of legal data protection requirements (GDPR obligations) into a technical privacy engineering methodology

Given the timeliness of the topic, there is an overwhelming interest from industry in these research topics. The specific research challenges will thus be tackled in pilot projects in collaboration with our industry partners (in innovative application domains, including for example e-health, e-finance, and smart cities).

More info:
https://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/jobs/#methodsforprivacyengineering <https://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/jobs/#methodsforprivacyengineering>
https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/54169486 <https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/54169486>

RESEARCHER: AUTOMATION IN PRIVACY ENGINEERING

As privacy engineering methods are maturing, the need to optimize and automate these solutions is growing. Nevertheless, an automation toolset for privacy engineering is far from straight-forward as there are still many open issues. We currently focus on a number of related research challenges, including:

	• Automated decision support for privacy threat analysis
	• Extraction of data flow diagrams based on existing architectural diagrams
	• Identification of suitable architectural views for privacy analysis and engineering
	• Guidance for selection of suitable privacy mitigation solutions (PETs)
	• Automated generation of privacy impact assessment documentation
	• Interactive guidance through the privacy knowledge base for privacy threat analysis and mitigation

These research topics are applied and require, in addition to the core research, outstanding technical work (to implement the tool suite). In addition, we closely collaborate with industrial partners and apply our findings in case studies in innovative application domains, including e-health, e-finance, e-media and e-government. This is also part of this versatile job.

More info:
https://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/jobs/#automationinprivacyengineering <https://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/jobs/#automationinprivacyengineering>
https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/54169631 <https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/54169631>

PROFILE:

If you share our strong interest in software development and software engineering, and if you have

	• a master in computer science (or equivalent),
	• an analytical mind and technically skilled,
	• strong affinity to software engineering research,
	• optionally some industry experience,
	• and fluent English communication skills,
then you will be the researcher we are looking for.

OFFER:

	• a supportive and collaborative team in which you can develop know-how and expertise in state-of-the-art technologies,
	• the opportunity to build up research and innovation skills that are essential for a future career in industrial as well as academic research and development environments,
	• support in the further development of your competences to analyze strategic research problems and to architect and evaluate innovative solutions with industrial applicability,
	• industry and market value in the field of software security and privacy,
	• a modular and dynamic growth path triggered by your own interests and skills,
	• an international and multicultural working environment at the KU Leuven High Tech Campus.
The research position can definitely lead to a PhD trajectory in computer science, but this is not a mandatory track for interested candidates who wish to apply for this position.

You can apply online through the links provided above.
Application deadline: June 30th 2017

Kind regards,

Kim Wuyts

imec-DistriNet