[ecoop-info] Post-doctoral position in Security and Web Programming (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)

Coen DE ROOVER Coen.De.Roover at vub.be
Fri Nov 10 14:52:08 CET 2017

The Software Languages Lab (http://soft.vub.ac.be/soft/) of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (http://www.vub.ac.be/en/) is welcoming applications for a vacant post-doctoral position in "security and web programming”. The position will play a leading role in our research on programming technology for Rich Internet Applications in the context of the SeCloud (http://www.securit-brussels.be/project/secloud/) and Tearless (http://soft.vub.ac.be/tearless/) projects. In these projects, we have been applying our expertise in programming languages and software engineering to the problems of developing and securing Rich Internet Applications. Keywords include language-based security, dynamic and static programming analysis, language support for offline functionality and data replication, migration tooling for multi-tier web applications. The research prototypes built for both projects are based on JavaScript technology.

Our group is located on a green campus in the de facto capital of Europe. It is headed by professors Viviane Jonckers, Wolfgang De Meuter, Elisa Gonzalez Boix, and Coen De Roover. As we host researchers of various nationalities, our working language is English. We are well-connected and frequently collaborate with our colleagues in France, Colombia, Germany, Austria, and Japan. Sufficient research funding also implies state-of-the-art offices and computing equipment, as well as opportunities for travel to top-tier conferences. Most importantly, we are fun to work with.

We are looking for a highly-motivated researcher with the aforementioned expertise who:
- holds a PhD degree in Computer Science
- has excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- has strong programming skills and extensive experience with at least one higher-order programming language (e.g., Scheme, Clojure, ML, Haskell, JavaScript)
- is interested in programming languages, security, web programming, dynamic/static program analysis, meta-programming, data consistency
- is able to work well in a team as well as independently and quickly acquire knowledge in new topics

The responsibilities of a post-doc at our lab include advising Master and PhD students, coordinating and contributing to the research on ongoing projects, and actively helping the lab procure new research grants. Depending on your interests and qualifications, responsibilities can also include more networking with industry or a modest teaching duty. A period as a post-doc at our lab is an ideal stepping stone for a career as an independent researcher in academia or industry.

The monthly net salary for a post-doc in Belgium varies between 2200-2500 euro, depending on age and qualifications. Given that Belgium features a highly-developed social security system, this is more than ample for a very comfortable life in Brussels. The position is available now, and will remain open until filled. The position is offered for up to two years, but we are open to shorter stays as well.

Applications can be sent to Prof. Coen De Roover (http://soft.vub.ac.be/~cderoove/, coen.de.roover at vub.be) and should include:
- earliest available starting date. This is negotiable during a Skype conversation in case you are selected.
- curriculum vitae with a list of publications and previous positions held. We prefer terse CVs with a focus on quality rather than quantity.
- a one-page research vision in one of the above research domains. We encourage applicants to have a look at our website and seek for a good match.
- digital copy of the Ph.D. dissertation and Ph.D. diploma with annexes (no need for official translations of the diploma - we can read Dutch, English, French, Spanish, Catalan, German, Russian, Italian).
- digital copy of one (co-)authored paper demonstrating some of the expected expertise.
- e-mail addresses of two academic referees that we can contact for a reference