[ecoop-info] PostDoc Positions at University of California, Irvine (Systems / Security, $70, 000 per year, subsidized housing)

Michael Franz franz at uci.edu
Tue May 8 02:23:07 CEST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

I would appreciate it if you could forward the position announcement below
to any graduating PhD students you may have.

Many thanks,
Michael Franz
University of California, Irvine

One of our current PostDocs has accepted a position as an Assistant
Professor at KU Leuven and will be leaving us this summer.  Hence, we are
looking for a new PostDoc (or more) to complete our team.

*Post-Doctoral Researcher Positions at the University of California, Irvine
(UCI)*

The research group of Chancellor’s Professor Michael Franz is welcoming
applications for one or more Post-Doctoral Researcher(s) to join our team
in the second half of 2018 (or later).  We work on a wide range of
“Systems” research topics at the intersection of compilers and security.

Our research group is well known for inventing trace tree compilation, the
technology that is behind the *TraceMonkey *just-in-time compiler for
JavaScript in Firefox.  Its co-inventors are Prof. Franz and former UCI
Ph.D. student and alumnus of our lab Andreas Gal, who until recently was
the CTO of Mozilla.  We also transitioned the “compartmental garbage
collector” invented in our lab into Firefox, which not only makes
JavaScript in Firefox safer, but surprisingly also faster.  Another
open-source project that we have contributed to is the LLVM compiler
infrastructure.

Over the past few years, our research has moved further into security—that
is where some of the most interesting “Systems” problems are these
days.  Our research has been appearing in some of the most competitive
publication venues with acceptance rates well below 20%, including two
papers at *NDSS 2015*, one at *IEEE Security and Privacy 2015*, two at ACM *CCS
2015*, one at *NDSS 2016, two at USENIX ATC 2016, *one at *NDSS 2017*, one
at *EuroSys 2017*, and at *USENIX Security 2017*. Upcoming publications
include accepted papers at *DIMVA 2018* and *ECOOP 2018*.

Appointments will be initially for a one year period and will be renewable;
most PostDocs stay for around 3-4 years. These positions require a Ph.D.
degree in Computer Science and demonstrated expertise, at the highest
level, in the area of computer security, compilers, operating systems, or
combinations of these.  The ideal candidate would already have publications
in top conferences such as IEEE S&P, ACM CCS, NDSS, USENIX Security, PLDI,
CGO, EuroSys, USENIX ATC, OSDI, or ASPLOS, and/or top journals such as ACM
TOPLAS, ACM TACO, ACM TISSEC or IEEE TDSC.

Current graduate students who fulfill all other requirements but who have
not quite yet completed their Ph.Ds. are welcome to apply; however, any
offer will be made contingent on successful completion of their degree.

Salary is typically in a range between *$70,000-$85,000 annually*,
depending on experience and qualification.  *On-campus subsidized housing *is
also available.  We have generous equipment and travel budgets, allowing
group members to travel to major conferences no matter where these are
located in the world. Somewhat unusually, we also have spacious one or two
person offices with windows and views instead of the windowless cubicles
that are the norm in academia in the United States.

UCI ranks among the top public research universities in the
world.  Meanwhile, the California city of *Irvine *consistently ranks among
the “*best places to live*” in North America and the surrounding Orange
County beach cities are among the top tourist destinations in the United
States.  Founded only 50 years ago, UCI has already produced three Nobel
laureates and is known for combining academic achievement with an
unsurpassed quality of life.  The university is located about 5 miles from
the Pacific Ocean, 45 miles South of Los Angeles and 80 miles North of San
Diego.

To apply, please go to *https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/
<https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/>apply/JPF04111*.  UCI is an Equal Opportunity,
Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence.  All qualified
applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color,
national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic
information, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation,
citizenship, or service in the uniformed services.

Please direct any questions to Michael Franz at franz at uci.edu.

*Picture:  Aerial View of the UCI campus with the Pacific Ocean in the
background*

*[image: Inline image 1]*