[ecoop-info] Available PhD position in Blockchain Technology

Roman Vitenberg romanvi at ifi.uio.no
Mon Sep 17 18:26:38 CEST 2018

A PhD position in blockchain technology is available with the group of Networks and Distributed Systems at the University of Oslo.

The area of the position is new distributed applications based on the blockchain paradigm,
as well as extending the functionality of Bitcoin by providing distributed services atop its infrastructure:
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~romanvi/blockchain-phd-2018.html

*** The closing date for applications is October 7th, 2018. ***

HOST INSTITUTION AND ENVIRONMENT

The University of Oslo is Norway's largest and oldest institution of higher
education. Founded in 1811, today the University of Oslo has approx. 30,000
students and 4,600 employees. Four Nobel Prize winners and two Turing
award recipients indicate the quality of the research at the University in
general and at the Department of Informatics in particular.

The students in our group won best paper and best demo awards at
several conferences. Our alumni are employed by IBM Research, Google,
Microsoft, Spotify, Schibsted and highly reputable academic institutions in Europe.

Norway has ben consistently ranked by the UN as having the highest
standard of living in the world. It is also known for its unique scenic beauty.
The work is in a smart futuristic building that has won multiple awards.

SUITABLE BACKGROUND AND REQUIREMENTS

Applicants must have a degree in Computer Science, or in a related study,
with excellent results. They must also be able to demonstrate interest in
scientific research. The evaluation considers different aspects of
excellence, as well as the personal drive and organizational skills.

The ideal candidate for the positions will have strong background in
distributed computing. Additional area-specific knowledge in
distributed transactions, P2P, cryptography, or consistent data replication
is beneficial but not required.

Master students may apply even if they have not yet completed their degree,
but expect to do so before the position starts.

Knowledge of Norwegian is not a prerequisite for application. English is our
working language for research. PhD students and postdocs in our group
have been coming from more than 10 different countries.

CONTACT INFORMATION

The application process is described in
https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/157195/phd-research-fellowship-in-blockchain
Interested candidates can contact Roman Vitenberg (romanvi at ifi.uio.no) for further information.