[ecoop-info] Several Funded Doctoral Positions in Computer Science in Austria (Vienna, Graz or Linz) - Deadline: January 11, 2020

Mihaela Rozman mihaela.rozman at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 5 00:46:41 CET 2019

TU Wien, TU Graz, and JKU Linz are seeking highly qualified candidates for
our joint doctoral program Logical Methods in Computer Science (logiCS). The
LogiCS doctoral college focuses on interdisciplinary research topics
covering

- computational logic, and applications of logic to

- databases and artificial intelligence,

- computer-aided verification,

- security and privacy,

- cyber-physical systems, as well as to

- distributed systems.

THE PROGRAM

Our PhD program LogiCS is focusing on logic and its applications in computer
science. Successful applicants will work with and be mentored by leading
researchers in the fields of computational logic, databases and knowledge
representation, computer-aided verification, security and privacy,
cyber-physical systems, and distributed systems.

FACULTY MEMBERS

M. Bartocci / A. Biere / R. Bloem / A. Ciabattoni / T. Eiter / G. Gottlob /
R. Grosu / L. Kovacs / M.Maffei / M. Ortiz / U. Schmid / M.Seidl / S.
Szeider / G. Weissenbacher / S.Woltran

The LogiCS faculty comprises 15 renowned researchers with strong records in
research, teaching and advising, complemented by 15 associated members who
further strengthen the research and teaching activities of the college.

POSITIONS AND FUNDING

*We are looking for 8 very strong doctoral students.

*We offer internationally competitive salaries funded for at least 3 years
according to the funding scheme of the Austrian Science Fund (with full
health benefits)

*The funding can be extended for one additional year contingent on a
placement at one of our international partner institutions.

CURRENT RESEARCH AREAS

Students can pursue doctoral research within the following areas:

* Automated Software Verification

* Epistemic logic in distributed computing

* Game-based Semantics

* Fixed-Parameter Algorithms and Complexity

* Formal Verification of hybrid systems

* Model Checking

* Modeling and analysis of digital integrated circuits

* Security and Privacy

* Scheduling and logic programming

* Topology in distributed computing

HOW TO APPLY

For more information about the PhD program and application process, as well
as faculty profiles, please visit our website at:
https://logic-cs.at/phd/admission/

*The applicants are expected to have completed an excellent diploma or
master's degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field.

*Candidates with comparable achievements will be considered on a
case-by-case basis.

*Applications by the candidates need to be submitted electronically.

Next application deadline: January 11, 2020.

LOGIC IN AUSTRIA

Austria has a highly active and successful logic in the computer science
community. Recent activities include:

www.arise.or.at (Austrian Research Network in Rigorous Systems Engineering)

www.vcla.at (Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms)

www.kgs.logic.at (International Kurt Goedel Society)

HIGHEST QUALITY OF LIFE

The Austrian cities Vienna, Graz, and Linz, located close to the Alps and
surrounded by beautiful nature, provide an exceptionally high quality of
life, with a vibrant cultural scene, numerous cultural events, world-famous
historical sites, a large international community, a varied cuisine and
famous coffee houses.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch: info at logic-cs.at