[ecoop-info] 12 PhD Scholarships at University of Kent, School of Computing

Stefan Marr ecoop at stefan-marr.de
Tue Feb 26 14:26:01 CET 2019

The Programming Languages and Systems (PLAS) group at the University of Kent's
School of Computing invites applications for 12 fully-funded 3-year PhD
scholarships (for UK/EU students).

Applications are due by the 26th April 2019.

The PLAS group is one of the largest programming languages research groups in
Europe. It is currently ranked 17th worldwide by the independent CSrankings
website: http://csrankings.org/#/index?plan&world.

We provide a supportive environment for research and we have a vibrant
postgraduate population. We encourage our students to engage with the wider
research community through attending conferences and taking internships with
leading industrial companies. We are located in Canterbury, a lively and
cosmopolitan historic town with convenient travel links to London and Europe.

You can apply to study for a PhD in any topic that falls within our range of
expertise. We have studentships up to a value of £19,945 per annum that are
available by competition.

Application process:

Select a potential supervisor (see below) and send them an informal project
proposal as well as a brief CV (preferably by the first week of April 2019).
Staff contact details can be found on their web pages. Submit your formal
applications through the university admission system by the 26th April 2019.
Your application should include a completed online admission form; the name and
contact details of two referees; an original document providing confirmation of
your degree (or a transcript if the degree is not yet awarded). For non-native
English speakers, a certificate of competence in English is required at IELTS
6.5 or higher, with no element less than 6.0 (or equivalent).

Programming Languages and Systems Group:
https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/research/groups/plas/index.html

Topics suggested by our group
https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/research/groups/plas/pgprojects.html

Applications process:
https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/research/studyingforaphd/howtoapply.html

For general inquiries about the process, please e-mail: cs-phd-plas at kent.ac.uk.

PLAS is a large research group with potential supervisors who work across the
breadth of programming languages and systems research.

*Dr Mark Batty*
(Additional scholarship:
https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/mjb211/studentship/studentship.htm)
Concurrency; software verification; systems; relaxed memory; programming
language semantics; GPU concurrency.

*Dr Laura Bocchi*
Foundations and engineering of API with complex behaviour, verification of
distributed concurrent systems; behavioural types; real-time systems;
transactions and transaction protocols.

*Dr Olaf Chitil*
Tracing, semantics, algorithmic debugging, type error debugging, compilation
and functional programming.

*Dr Radu Grigore*
Program analysis; runtime verification; probabilistic models of computation.

*Dr Rogerio de Lemos*
Software engineering for self-adaptive systems: assurances and resilience
evaluation; architecting resilient systems.

*Prof. Richard Jones*
Language implementation; memory management; garbage collection; object
demographics; program analysis for improved memory management; program
visualisation, rigorous performance evaluation.

*Dr Stefan Kahrs*
Expressiveness of programming languages, type systems, term rewriting,
infinitary rewriting.

*Dr Stephen Kell*
Language implementation, tools, interoperability, runtimes and operating
systems.

*Prof. Andy King*
Abstract interpretation, logic programming, decompilation and reverse
engineering

*Dr Julien Lange*
Process calculi, automata theory, behavioural types, model checking and their
application to the implementation and verification of concurrent and
distributed systems.

*Dr Stefan Marr*
Language implementation techniques, concurrency, parallel programming,
optimizations, tooling, debugging, virtual machines, interpreters, compilation.

*Dr Matteo Migliavacca*
On-line data processing, distributed publish-subscribe, and high-performance
event processing in large scale and cloud scenarios.

*Dr Dominic Orchard*
Mathematical structure of programs; logical foundations of programming;
categorical semantics; behavioural type theories; programming language design;
program verification for computational science.

*Dr Scott Owens*
Semantics of shared memory concurrency; design of programming languages; formal
verification for software and interactive theorem proving, especially for
CakeML (https://cakeml.org).

*Dr Tomas Petricek*
Programming languages and tools, especially for data science, studying
interactions of programming, bridging the gap between data and types;
foundations of programming in a broad sense, including design and human
experience; philosophy and history of computing and programming.

*Prof. Simon Thompson*
Functional programming in Haskell, Erlang and OCaml; refactoring functional
programs: tool building. theory and practice: dependently-typed functional
programming; DLT: languages for smart contracts on blockchains, including
Marlowe on Cardano.

--
Stefan Marr
School of Computing, University of Kent