[ecoop-info] ACM Middleware MW4SOC Workshop Call for papers

Karl M. Goeschka Karl.Goeschka at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 22 16:07:18 CEST 2009

CALL FOR PAPERS
===============

| 4th Middleware for Service-Oriented Computing (MW4SOC) |
| Workshop at the ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference  |

Nov 30 – Dec 4, 2009
Urbana Champaign, Illinois, USA
http://www.dedisys.org/mw4soc09/

This workshop has its own ISBN and will be published as part of the ACM
International Conference Proceedings Series and will be included in the ACM
digital library.

Important Dates
===============
Paper submission: August 1, 2009
Author notification: September 15, 2009
Camera-ready copies: October 1, 2009
Workshop date: November 30, 2009

Call details
============
Service Oriented Computing (SOC) is a computing paradigm broadly pushed by
vendors, utilizing and providing services to support the rapid and scalable
development of distributed applications in heterogeneous environments.
However, the influence of SOC today goes far beyond the concepts of the
original disciplines that spawned it. Many would argue that areas like
business process modelling and management, Web2.0-style applications, data
as a service, and even cloud computing emerge mainly due to the shift in
paradigm towards SOC. Nevertheless, there is still a strong need to merge
technology with an understanding of business processes and organizational
structures, a combination of recognizing an enterprise's pain points and
the potential solutions that can be applied to correct them.

While the immediate need of middleware support for SOC is evident, current
approaches and solutions still fall short by primarily providing support
for only the EAI aspect of SOC and do not sufficiently address issues such
as service discovery, re-use, re-purpose, composition and aggregation
support, service management, monitoring, and deployment and maintenance of
large-scale heterogeneous infrastructures and applications. Moreover,
quality properties (in particular dependability and security) need to be
addressed not only by interfacing and communication standards, but also in
terms of integrated middleware support. Recently, massive-scale and
mobility were added to the challenges for Middleware for SOC.

The workshop consequently welcomes contributions on how specifically
service oriented middleware can address the above challenges, to what
extent it has to be service oriented by itself, and in particular how
quality properties are supported.

Topics of interest
==================
* Architectures and platforms for Middleware for SOC.
* Core Middleware support for deployment, composition, and interaction.
* Integration of SLA (service level agreement) and/or technical policy
support through middleware.
* Middleware support for service management, maintenance, monitoring, and
control.
* Middleware support for integration of business functions and
organizational structures into Service oriented Systems (SOS).
* Evaluation and experience reports of middleware for SOC and service
oriented middleware.

Workshop co-chairs
===============
Karl M. Göschka (chair)
Schahram Dustdar
Frank Leymann
Helen Paik

Organizational chair
====================
Lorenz Froihofer, mw4soc at dedisys.org

Program committee
=================
Sami Bhiri, DERI (Ireland)
Paul Brebner, NICTA (Australia)
Gianpaolo Cugola, Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
Francisco Curbera, IBM (USA)
Frank Eliassen, University of Oslo (Norway)
Walid Gaaloul, Institut Telecom (France)
Harald C. Gall, Universität Zürich (Switzerland)
Nikolaos Georgantas, INRIA (France)
Chirine Ghedira, Univ. of Lyon I (France)
Svein Hallsteinsen, SINTEF (Norway)
Yanbo Han, ICT Chinese Academy of Sciences (China)
Valérie Issarny, INRIA (France)
Arno Jacobsen, Univ. Toronto (Canada)
Mehdi Jazayeri, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Bernd Krämer, University of Hagen (Germany)
Mark Little, JBoss (USA)
Jenny Liu, NICTA (Australia)
Heiko Ludwig, IBM Research (USA)
Hamid Reza Motahari Nezhad, HP Labs (USA)
Nanjangud C. Narendra, IBM Research (India)
Rui Oliveira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Cesare Pautasso, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Fernando Pedone, Università della Svizzera Italiana (Switzerland)
Jose Pereira, Universidade do Minho (Portugal)
Florian Rosenberg, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
Regis Saint-Paul, CREATE-NET (Italy)
Dietmar Schreiner, Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
Bruno Schulze, National Lab for Scientific Computing (Brazil)
Stefan Tai, Institut für Angewandte Informatik und Formale
Beschreibungsverfahren - AIFB, Karlsruhe (Germany)
Aad van Moorsel, University of Newcastle (UK)
Eric Wohlstadter, University of British Columbia (Canada)
Raymond Wong, UNSW (Australia)
Roman Vitenberg, University of Oslo (Norway)
Liming Zhu, NICTA (Australia)