[ecoop-info] CfP: DO21 Workshop at ECOOP 2010

Tom Van Cutsem tvcutsem at vub.ac.be
Thu Feb 4 19:21:59 CET 2010

(Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message)

2nd International Workshop on Distributed Objects for the 21st Century
(DO21 2010)
http://soft.vub.ac.be/events/do21
co-located with ECOOP 2010 (http://2010.ecoop.org)
June 21-25, Maribor, Slovenia

Important Dates
--------------------
Paper submission: April 19, 2010
Author notification: May 5, 2010
Workshop date: June 21 or 22, 2010

Topics of Interest
----------------------
The goal of this workshop is to provide a progressive and open-minded
forum at ECOOP dedicated to the future of distributed object
technology. Today, distributed computing has become a ubiquitous
technology supported by the infrastructure of the Internet. A major
and by now obvious trend in distributed computing is the move towards
the provision of software as a service via the network (cloud or
utility computing, "Software as a Service"). Perhaps less obvious
today, but no less important in the long term, is the trend towards
extending the Web to include everyday, physical objects, leading to an
"Internet of Things". This workshop provides a forum to discuss the
(object-oriented) development of such systems. The question that we
want to address is: "how can we program such systems in a manageable,
robust and scalable manner?"

We solicit constructive ideas, new programming paradigms, novel
programming language abstractions, domain specific languages,
frameworks, tools or architectures for distributed object computing in
general and Cloud Computing and the Internet of Things in particular.
We are equally interested in alternative (non-object-oriented)
approaches to solving these problems, provided that the differences
(advantages and/or disadvantages) with object-oriented technology
receive attention. Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

- State-of-the-art distributed object systems
- Tools for developing, visualizing, debugging, testing, ... such
systems
- OO web application frameworks
- OO abstractions for the Cloud and Software as a Service
- OO frameworks for RFID-technology and the Internet of Things
- Large-scale object replication
- Object-based security mechanisms (e.g. object-capabilities)
- Multi-paradigm approaches (e.g. combining objects and publish/
subscribe, tuples, dataflow, REST,
- Alternative (non-OO) approaches to the above (and their pros/cons)
- ...

Keynote
-----------
We are pleased to host a Keynote speech at this year's workshop. Our
keynote speaker will be Mark S. Miller (Google) on "Mobile Objects in
Secure Javascript".

Submissions
----------------
Participants are invited to submit a 5-page position paper or essay
that describes an idea, a position, a language, a framework, etc.
related to the topics outlined above. Submissions should be in PDF
format and e-mailed to the primary contact. These papers will be
reviewed by the organizing committee primarily based on relevance and
originality. Accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital
Library.

Organizing Committee
----------------------------
Tom Van Cutsem, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium and Google, USA
(primary contact)
Jorge Fox, Lero The Irish Software Engineering Research Centre,
Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Ole Lehrmann Madsen, Aarhus University and Alexandra Institute, Denmark
Eric Jul, Bell Labs Ireland and University of Oslo, Norway
Gilad Bracha, Ministry of Truth, USA
William Cook, University of Texas, USA

Please visit the website for up-to-date information about the
workshop: http://soft.vub.ac.be/events/do21