[ecoop-info] CFP: Evaluate'11 @ PLDI - Workshop on Experimental Evaluation of Software and Systems in Computer Science

Matthias Hauswirth Matthias.Hauswirth at usi.ch
Tue Mar 22 12:31:04 CET 2011

                        Evaluate 2011

             Workshop on Experimental Evaluation
         of Software and Systems in Computer Science

                   CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

           http://evaluate.inf.usi.ch/evaluate2011

 Co-located with PLDI/FCRC'11 in San Jose, CA, USA, June 5, 2011.

Call for Contributions

Evaluate 2011 is not a mini-conference, but a "work"shop. Our goal is
to improve the culture of experimental evaluation in our community.
The participants of the workshop will author and publish a paper at a
venue like the Communications of the ACM. That paper will make the
case for good evaluations by presenting evaluation anti-patterns --
fallacies and pitfalls related to the experimental evaluation of
systems and software.

We solicit submissions of short descriptions of anti-patterns related
to aspects such as picking baselines, benchmarks or workloads,
experimental context, metrics, bias, perturbation, or statistical
methods. Each submission should describe a fallacy, **preferably one
the authors have made in their own past work**. The submission should
include a memorable title naming the fallacy, a concise description,
the concrete example (including citations where possible) with
potentially significant consequences, and a convincing motivation for
why the example is important to be shared with the community. The
entire submission has to be provided as a short text entered in the
"abstract" field of the submission system.

At the workshop, authors of accepted submissions will introduce their
anti-pattern in a short presentation, and together, the workshop
participants will structure, organize, and integrate the collected
fallacies into a common document.

Draft Title and Abstract of the Resulting Paper

Evaluation Anti-Patterns: A Guide to Bad Experimental Computer Science

Bad evaluations misdirect research and curtail creativity. A poorly
performed but successfully published evaluation can encourage
fruitless investigation of a flawed idea, while publication of flawed
observation can discourage further exploration of an important area of
research. In this paper we identify N common methodological pitfalls,
including many we've fallen for ourselves. We argue that this exposure
to methodological shortcomings is damaging our research. We claim that
this reflects a lack of a well established culture of rigorous
evaluation, and that this is due in part to the youth and dynamism of
computer science, which work against the establishment of sound
methodological norms. We challenge researchers to reconsider the
importance of rigorous evaluation, and suggest that a critical
reappraisal may lead to more productive and more creative computer
science research.

Important Dates

Submission deadline:   Friday, April 1
Notification deadline: Monday, April 18
Workshop date:         Sunday June 5, 2011

Past Workshops

Evaluate 2011 is the second workshop in the Evaluate workshop series.
The first Evaluate workshop, Evaluate 2010, was held at SPLASH/OOPSLA
2010 in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada, USA.

One outcome of Evaluate 2010 was the Evaluate Collaboratory web site
(http://evaluate.inf.usi.ch/), which serves as a resource and a hub
for everybody interested in understanding and improving the state of
practice in experimental evaluation.

A second outcome was our "Letter to PC Chairs"
(http://evaluate.inf.usi.ch/letter-to-pc-chairs), which already has
been signed by a broad set of leading researchers in the field
(many of them participated in the Evaluate 2010 workshop).

Organizing Committee

 * Steve Blackburn (Australian National University)
 * Amer Diwan (University of Colorado / Google)
 * Matthias Hauswirth (University of Lugano, Switzerland)
 * Atif Memon (University of Maryland)
 * Peter F. Sweeney (IBM Research)