[ecoop-info] ECOOP 2011 - STUDENT EVENTS

Joao Araujo ja at di.fct.unl.pt
Thu Mar 31 20:17:57 CEST 2011

                       ECOOP 2011 - STUDENT EVENTS
                         CALL FOR PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION
        25th European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming

                            July 25-29, 2011
                             Lancaster, UK
                    http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/

ECOOP 2011 will feature an exciting array of opportunities for student
participation with a summer school, doctoral symposium and PhD Student
Workshop as well as the main conference. ECOOP 2011 also offers
studentships for financial support to attend conference.

Call Contents
-------------
- Studentships for ECOOP 2011
- Doctoral Symposium
- Summer School

 Studentships for ECOOP 2011
 Application Deadline: 23 May 2011
 Notification Deadline: 30 May 2011

 http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=content/studentships
Thanks to the generosity of AiTO and AOSD-Europe, we are pleased to
announce up to 20 studentship places for ECOOP 2011. These
studentships will provide financial support to students performing
research related to ECOOP topics to attend the conference. The
studentships will provide attendees with a free student registration
to the conference. In special cases, and at the discretion of the
conference organisers, extra support may be provided to cover
additional costs, please contact the organisers in good time before
the conference if extra support is needed.

A condition of receiving the studentship is that students must
participate in the Doctoral Symposium. Also, recipients of the
studentships will be asked to perform certain duties during the
conference to assist with the running of sessions.

 Doctoral Symposium

 Call for Papers:

 DS-ECOOP 2011
 25th European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming
 Doctoral Symposium and PhD Student Workshop

 http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=calls/doctoral

---------------------
 Important Dates
---------------------

Paper submission due:                        15 April, 2011
Acceptance notification:                20 May, 2011
Doctoral Symposium and PhD Workshop:        25 July, 2011

---------------------
 Goal
---------------------

ECOOP 2011 in Lancaster UK hosts the 21st edition of the Doctoral
Symposium and PhD Student Workshop along-side the various workshops.
As the name suggests, this is a two-session event: a Doctoral
Symposium and a PhD Student Workshop. The Doctoral Symposium and PhD
Student Workshop provides a forum for both early and late-stage PhD
students to present their research and get detailed feedback and
advice.

The main objectives of this event are:

- to allow PhD students to practice writing clearly and to present
  effectively their research proposal
- to get constructive feedback from other researchers
- to build bridges for potential research collaboration
- to contribute to the conference goals through interaction with
  other researchers at the main conference

---------------------
 Event Format
---------------------

This is a full-day event of interactive presentations. Morning and
early afternoon will be dedicated to the Doctoral Symposium, with late
afternoon dedicated to the PhD Student Workshop. Besides the formal
presentations, there will be plenty of opportunities for informal
interactions during lunch and (possibly) dinner. It is planned that
members of the academic panel will give short presentations on a
variety of topics related to doing research.

---------------------
 Topics
---------------------

Potential topics are those of the main conference (see
http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk), i.e. all topics related to object
technology. The following list of suggested topics is by no means
exclusive:

- Analysis and design methods and patterns
- Databases, persistence, transactions
- Distributed, concurrent, mobile, real-time systems
- Empirical and application studies
- Frameworks, product lines, software architectures
- Language design and implementation
- Modularity, aspects, features, components, services, reflection
- Software development environments and tools
- Static and dynamic software analysis, testing, and metrics
- Theoretical foundations, type systems, formal methods
- Versioning, compatibility, software evolution

---------------------
 Doctoral Symposium
---------------------

The goal of the doctoral symposium session is to provide PhD students
with useful feedback towards the successful completion of their
dissertation research. Each student is assigned an academic panel,
based on the specifics of that student's research. The student will
give a presentation of 15-20 minutes (exact time will be announced
later), followed by 15-20 minutes of questions and feedback. The
experience is meant to mimic a "mini-" defense interview. Aside from
the actual feedback, this helps the student gain familiarity with the
style and mechanics of such an interview (advisors of student
presenters will not be allowed to attend their student's
presentations). To participate, the students should be far enough in
their research to be able to present:

- the importance of the problem
- a clear research proposal
- some preliminary work/results
- an evaluation plan

The students should still have at least 12 months before defending
their dissertation. We believe that students that are defending
within a year would not be able to incorporate the feedback they receive.

To participate, please submit:

- a 3-4 page abstract in the llncs format
- a letter from your advisor. This letter should include an assessment
  of the current status of your dissertation research and an expected
  date for dissertation submission.
  The advisor should e-mail this letter to ecoop11-ds at comp.lancs.ac.uk

Abstracts should be submitted to:

  http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsecoop11

The abstract should focus on the following:

1. Problem Description

- what is the problem?
- what is the significance of this problem?
- why the current state of the art can not solve this problem?

2. Goal Statement

- what is the goal of your research?
- what artifacts (tools, theories, methods) will be produced, and how
  do they address the stated problem? How are the artifacts going to
  help reach the stated goal?

3. Method

- what experiments, prototypes, or studies need to be
  produced/executed?
- what is the validation strategy? How will it demonstrate that the
  goal was reached?

Note that this is not a typical technical paper submission, and that
the focus is not on technical details, but rather on research method.

Each submission will be reviewed by at least three members of the
committee.

If accepted for presentation, the student's advisor must email the
chair no later than 18 July, 2011 and confirm that the advisor
attended at least one of the student's presentation rehearsals.

---------------------
 PhD Student Workshop
---------------------

This session is addressed primarily to PhD students in the early
stages of their PhD work. The goal is to allow participants to present
their research ideas and obtain feedback from the rest of the workshop
attendees. Each participant will give a 10-15 minute presentation,
followed by 10-15 minutes of discussions (exact times will be
announced later).

To participate, please submit:

- 6-10 page position paper in the llncs format, presenting your idea
  or current work
- a support letter from your advisor. The advisor should e-mail this
  letter to ecoop11-ds at comp.lancs.ac.uk

Position papers should be submitted to:

  http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dsecoop11

The position paper should contain (at least):

- a problem description
- a detailed sketch of a proposed approach
- related work

As this is earlier-stage research, it is not necessary to have
concrete results from this research presented in the paper. Instead,
the goal of the paper is to inform the reader of a (well-motivated)
problem and to present a high level (possible) solution.

If accepted for presentation, the student's advisor must email the
chair no later than 18 July, 2011 and confirm that the advisor
attended at least one of the student's presentation rehearsals.

---------------------
 Committee
---------------------

- Moharram Challenger, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
- Andreas Mertgen, Technischen Universitat, Berlin, Germany
- Stephen Nelson, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Hesam Samimi, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
- Lucas Satabin, Technische Universitat, Darmstadt, Germany

---------------------
 Academic Panel
---------------------

 [Announced soon]

---------------------
 Previous Experiences
---------------------

The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium is an excellent place to meet many
interesting  people and discuss new ideas related to your research
topic. It has a friendly atmosphere which makes everybody welcomed
and relaxed. By attending the PhD symposium last year, I had the
opportunity to engage in new collaborations with researchers from
different institutions. I also received feedback from both
well-established researchers and fellow PhD students which had a
great positive effect on my thesis. I would certainly recommend all
PhD students to attend the ECOOP PhD Symposium and Workshop.

- Eduardo Figueiredo, participant DS ECOOP'08

The ECOOP Doctoral Symposium was a remarkable event. It was an honor
to get feedback on my personal thesis topic from such well-established
researchers in the field. Their comments not only encouraged me to
continue with my thesis work but also gave me valuable feedback on how
to refine my concrete topic and bring the overall topic into shape. In
addition, I found the other students' talks to be some of the most
interesting ones at ECOOP. Some of them were very inspiring even for
my own work. Overall, my participation in the symposium will
certainly have a great positive effect on my thesis. Apart from that
it was a fun day which made me meet many interesting people.

- Eric Bodden, participant DS ECOOP'07

---------------------
 More Information and Contact
---------------------

For additional information about Doctoral Symposium, please visit the
event page at:

  http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=calls/doctoral

and contact the ECOOP 2011 Doctoral Symposium Chairs at email address:

  ecoop11-ds at comp.lancs.ac.uk

 Summer School at ECOOP 2011

 http://ecoop11.comp.lancs.ac.uk/?q=program/summer_school
Students attending ECOOP may also attend the ECOOP summer school at no
extra charge. The Summer School this year hosts an exciting program
with excellent speakers.

---------------------
Summer School Speakers
---------------------

Byron Cook
Dr. Byron Cook is a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research in
Cambridge, UK as well as Professor of Computer Science at Queen Mary,
University of London.  He is one of the developers of the Terminator
program termination proving tool, as well as the SLAM software model
checker and other formal methods tools.

Matthew Flatt
Matthew Flatt is an associate professor of computer science at the
University of Utah. He is one of the developers of the Racket
programming language (formerly known as PLT Scheme) and a co-author of
the introductory programming textbook "How to Design Programs". He
received his PhD in computer science from Rice University in 1999 and
joined Utah in 1999.

Hans Boehm
Hans Boehm is perhaps best known as the primary author of a commonly
used garbage collection library. That experience convinced him that
there was a need to address fundamental shared memory parallel
programming issues.  He was involved in the revision of the Java
memory model, and led the analogous effort for C++. He was awarded the
PLDI 2003 most influential paper award and the SIGPLAN 2006
Distinguished Service Award. He is an ACM Distinguished Scientist and
a Research Manager at HP Labs.

William Cook
William Cook has experience in both pure research and industrial software
development. His early research focused on the semantics of inheritance in
object-oriented languages, formalization of mixins, and polymorphic type
systems for object languages. He is currently working on interfacing
programming languages and databases, distributed computing and web services,
type theory and data abstraction. Products he was instrumental in creating
include AppleScript at Apple Computer, the Writer's Solution for Prentice
Hall, and the Allegis' Enterprise Partner Relationship Management.