[ecoop-info] 2. Workshop View-based, Aspect-Oriented and Orthographic Software Modeling (VAO)

Burger, Erik (IPD) burger at kit.edu
Tue Apr 8 08:32:17 CEST 2014

|                  VAO 2014 - Call for Contributions                |
|                          2nd Workshop on                          |
|  View-Based, Aspect-Oriented and Orthographic Software Modelling  |
|                   A satellite event of STAF 2014                  |
|                 22 July 2014, York, United Kingdom                |
|      For a complete PDF version of this call please visit:        |
|       http://vao.ipd.kit.edu/uploads/media/vao2014_cfp.pdf        |

In Model-Driven Engineering, the functionality of complex systems lies
beyond the representative capabilities of a single model. Therefore,
an increasing variety of heterogeneous models and languages are used
in the various phases of software development. Information about a
system is consequently spread across these various models with
possible overlaps, redundancies, and inconsistencies. To cope with
this complexity, which normally exceeds the cognitive capacity of a
single individual, various approaches have been developed to
re-organize information during systems development.
Different approaches that allow system modelling from various
perspectives or according to separate concerns focus on such diverse
issues that it is difficult to compare and evaluate them. Some of them
present solutions for a specific set of modelling languages or views,
but make it hard to assess the applicability in other scenarios.
Others provide means to define new views on models, but do not
consider how redundancy-free models can be established.

Goal
----
The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers and
practitioners with an interest in model-driven software development to
foster a fruitful cross-pollination of ideas between different
communities dealing with the separation and integration of views or
concerns in system modelling. The workshop will prepare the
development of a case-study designed to facilitate the comparison and
evaluation of multi-view modelling approaches and to simplify the
identification of problems that require further research. In break-out
sessions requirements for a common, multi-view modelling case-study
will be elicited, possible comparison criteria will be collected, and
ideas for case-study scenarios will be discussed.
In order to provide a foundation for these discussions, we encourage
submissions on new concepts, implementations or formalism as well as
submissions on controversial positions, requirements for a common
case-study or case-study scenarios. Submissions should contribute to
investigating and discussing the benefits and drawbacks of different
multi-view modelling approaches or identifying best practices.

Topics
------
The workshop is interested in submissions that prepare a common,
multi-view modelling case study and in submissions on all topics
related to model-driven development that deal with the separation and
integration of different perspectives, languages, abstractions, views
or concerns. More specifically, this includes:
- bridging the gap between different views or metamodels,
- generating, defining and evolving different views, models and
     metamodels,
- round-trip engineering and co-evolution of different models,
- composition of different views, models and metamodels,
- (bidirectional) transformations of metamodels,
- avoiding inconsistencies, overlap and redundancies between modelling
     artefacts,
- generating models and metamodels for multiple views or formalisms,
- separating and re-integrating cross-cutting concerns or model
     weaving,
- dynamic information hiding for partial views

Contributions
-------------
Submissions to the workshop are possible in three categories.
Research papers should describe original work on a problem or solution
that pertains to the systematic separation or integration of models,
concerns, views, or other modelling artefacts on six to eight pages.
Position papers should present a well-defined position on how various
modelling languages, viewpoints, heterogeneous subsystems, or concerns
should be handled in MDE on two to four pages.
Case-study papers should discuss requirements, criteria, or scenarios
for a common multi-view modelling case-study for comparing and
evaluating different approaches on two to four pages.
All paper submissions have to adhere to the ACM SIG Proceedings Style
(alternate format).

Organizers
----------
Colin Atkinson, University of Mannheim, Germany
Erik Burger, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany
Thomas Goldschmidt, ABB Corporate Research, Ladenburg, Germany
Ralf Reussner, Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI), Karlsruhe, Germany

Programme Committee
-------------------
Omar Alam, McGill University, Montréal, Canada
Olivier Barais, University of Rennes, France
Steffen Becker, University of Paderborn, Germany
Franck Fleurey, SINTEF, Oslo, Norway
Jacques Klein, University of Luxembourg
Bernhard Rumpe, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Antonio Vallecillo, Unversity of Málaga, Spain
Markus Völter, Stuttgart, Germany
Guido Wachsmuth, TU Delft, Netherlands
Steffen Zschaler, King's College London, United Kingdom

Dissemination
-------------
The proceedings of VAO 2014 will be published in the ACM Digital
Library.

Important Dates
---------------
Abstract submission: 18 April 2014
Paper submission: 25 April 2014
Author notification: 16 May 2014
Camera-ready version: 13 June 2014
Workshop date: 22 July 2014

Contact
-------
vao-workshop at ira.uka.de

Homepage
--------
http://vao.ipd.kit.edu/

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Faculty of Informatics
Institute for Programme Structures and Data Organisation
IPD Reussner - Software Design and Quality

Dipl.-Inform. Erik Burger
Researcher

Am Fasanengarten 5, Building 50.34, Room 241
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 608-45765 (-45993, secr.)
Fax: +49 721 608-45990
Email: burger at kit.edu
http://sdq.ipd.kit.edu/people/erik_burger

KIT - University of the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg and
National Research Center of the Helmholtz Association