[ecoop-info] CfP: 2nd FoCAS Workshop on Fundamentals of Collective Adaptive Systems @SASO 2014

Giacomo Cabri giacomo.cabri at unimore.it
Thu Jun 5 16:52:46 CEST 2014

2nd FoCAS Workshop on Fundamentals of Collective Adaptive Systems
Monday 8th September @ SASO 2014, London, UK
Workshop Best Student Paper Award: Prize 500EUR!
Submission hard deadline is 11 July 2014 (**no extensions given**)
Paper Acceptance Notification: July 31, 2014
Camera Ready: 6 August, 2014

Workshop website: www.focas.eu/saso-2014

CFP
Collective Adaptive Systems (CAS) is a broad term that describes large
scale systems that comprise of many
units/nodes, each of which may have their own individual properties,
objectives and actions. Decision-
making in such a system is distributed and possibly highly dispersed,
and interaction between the units may
lead to the emergence of unexpected phenomena. CASs are open, in that
nodes may enter or leave the
collective at any time, and boundaries between CASs are fluid. The units
can be highly heterogeneous
(computers, robots, agents, devices, biological entities, etc.), each
operating at different temporal and
spatial scales, and having different (potentially conflicting)
objectives and goals, even if often the system
has a global goal that is pursued by means of collective actions. Our
society increasingly depends on such
systems, in which collections of heterogeneous ‘technological’ nodes are
tightly entangled with human and
social structures to form ‘artificial societies’. Yet, to properly
exploit them, we need to develop a deeper
scientific understanding of the principles by which they operate, in
order to better design them. This
workshop solicits papers that address new methodologies, theories and
principles that can be used in order
to develop a better understanding of the fundamental factors
underpinning the operation of such systems,
so that we can better design, build, and analyse such systems.

We welcome inter-disciplinary approaches.

Suggested Topics (but not limited to):

-Novel theories relating to operating principles of CAS
-Novel design principles for building CAS systems
-Insights into the short and long term adaptation of CAS systems
-Insights into Emergent Properties of CAS
-Insights into general properties of large scale, distributed CAS
-Methodologies for studying, analysing and building CAS
-Frameworks for analysing or developing CAS Case studies
-Scenarios that can be used to investigate CAS properties

Invited contributions from the workshop will be published in a Special
Issue of the Journal of
Scalable Computing: Practice and Experience: http://scpe.org/

Submission deadline is 11 July 2014

FoCAS Best Student Paper Award
The FoCAS Coordination Action is also presenting a best student paper
award. The prize is worth
500 EUR to reimburse travel and accommodation costs associated with
attending the workshop. This Best Student Paper
Award is open to any student who is first author of a paper submitted to
the FoCAS workshop at SASO 2014.
Winning announcements will be made on 8 September at the workshop and
posted at www.focas.eu.
The submission deadline is 11 July 2014

Program Chairs
Emma Hart (Edinburgh Napier University): e.hart at napier.ac.uk
Giacomo Cabri (University of Modena & Reggio Emilia:
giacomo.cabri at unimore.it

Full workshop details are available at: www.focas.eu/saso-2014

--