[ecoop-info] SASO2014: Joint Call for Workshop Papers

Giacomo Cabri giacomo.cabri at unimore.it
Fri May 16 10:57:33 CEST 2014

IEEE SASO Workshops: Call for Papers

*** http://www.iis.ee.imperial.ac.uk/saso2014/workshops.php ***

*** Important Dates ***

Paper Submission Deadline: July 11, 2014
Paper Acceptance Notification: August 1, 2014
Camera-Ready Deadline: August 13, 2014
Workshop Dates: September 8 and 12, 2014

*** Workshops ***

2nd Workshop on Fundamentals of Collective Adaptive Systems (FoCAS 2014)
Workshop on Quality Assurance for Self-adaptive, Self-organising Systems
(QA4SASO)
2nd Workshop on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organising Socio-Technical
Systems (SASO^ST 2014)
Workshop on Self-Adaptive Self-Organising Manufacturing Systems (SASOMS
2014)
Workshop on Self-Adaptive Self-Organising Manufacturing Systems (SISSY 2014)

*** 2nd Workshop on Fundamentals of Collective Adaptive Systems ***
(FoCAS 2014)

Monday, September 8th, 2014

http://focas.eu/focas-workshop-saso-2014

Organizing Committee:
Emma Hart, Edinburgh Napier University, UK
Giacomo Cabri, Università di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italy

Collective Adaptive Systems (CAS) is a broad term that describes large
scale systems that comprise of many units/nodes, each of which may have
their own individual properties, objectives and actions. Decision-making
in such a system is distributed and possibly highly dispersed, and
interaction between the units may lead to the emergence of unexpected
phenomena. CASs are open, in that nodes may enter or leave the
collective at any time, and boundaries between CASs are fluid. The units
can be highly heterogeneous (computers, robots, agents, devices,
biological entities, etc.), each operating at different temporal and
spatial scales, and having different (potentially conflicting)
objectives and goals, even if often the system has a global goal that is
pursued by means of collective actions. Our society increasingly depends
on such systems, in which collections of heterogeneous technological
nodes are tightly entangled with human and social structures to form
artificial societies. Yet, to properly exploit them, we need to develop
a deeper scientific understanding of the principles by which they
operate, in order to better design them.

This workshop solicits papers that address new methodologies, theories
and principles that can be used in order to develop a better
understanding of the fundamental factors underpinning the operation of
such systems, so that we can better design, build, and analyse such
systems. We welcome inter-disciplinary approaches.

Invited contributions from the workshop will be published in a Special
Issue of the Journal of Scalable Computing: Practice and Experience
(http://scpe.org/)

*** Workshop on Quality Assurance for Self-adaptive, Self-organising
Systems ***
(QA4SASO)

Monday, September 12th, 2014

http://qa4saso.isse.de

Organizing Committee:
Wolfgang Reif Augsburg University, Germany Institute for Software &
Systems Engineering reif at informatik.uni-augsburg.de
Franz Wotawa Technical University of Graz, Austria Institute for
Software Technology wotawa at ist.tugraz.at
Tom Holvoet Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium Department of
Computer Science tom.holvoet at cs.kuleuven.be
For all enquiries about the workshop, please contact:
Benedikt Eberhardinger Augsburg University, Germany Institute for
Software & Systems Engineering
benedikt.eberhardinger at informatik.uni-augsburg.de

Developing self-adaptive, self-organising systems (SASO) that fulfil the
requirements of different stakeholders
is no simple matter. Quality assurance is required at each phase of the
entire development process, starting
from requirements elicitation, system architecture design, agent design,
and finally in the implementation
of the system. The quality of the artefacts from each development phase
affects the rest of the system, since
all parts are closely related to each other. Furthermore, the shift of
adaption decisions from design-time to
run-time - necessitated by the need of the systems to adapt to changing
circumstances - makes it difficult, but even more essential, to assure
high quality standards in these kind of systems. Accordingly, the
analysis and evaluation of these self-* systems has to take into account
the specific operational context to achieve high quality standards.

*** 2nd Workshop on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organising Socio-Technical
Systems ***
(SASO^ST 2014)

Friday, September 12th, 2014

http://sasost.isse.de

Organizing Committee:
Gerrit Anders, University of Augsburg, Germany,
anders at informatik.uni-augsburg.de
Jean Botev, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, jean.botev at uni.lu
Markus Esch, Fraunhofer FKIE, Germany, markus.esch at fkie.fraunhofer.de

The design and operation of computer systems has traditionally been
driven by technical aspects and considerations. However, the usage
characteristics of information and communication systems are both
implicitly and explicitly determined by social interaction and the
social graph of users. This aspect is becoming more and more evident
with the increasing popularity of social network applications on the
internet. This workshop will address all aspects of self-adaptive and
self-organising mechanisms in socio-technical systems, covering
different perspectives of this exciting research area ranging from
normative and trust management systems to socio-inspired design
strategies for distributed algorithms, collaboration platforms and
communication protocols.

SASO^ST 2014 has a call for papers and a call for talks

*** Workshop on Self-Adaptive Self-Organising Manufacturing Systems ***
(SASOMS 2014)

Monday, September 8th, 2014

http://TBA

Organizing Committee:
Svetan Ratchev, University of Nottingham
David Sanderson, University of Nottingham
Derek McAuley, Connected Digital Economy Catapult
SASOMS at nottingham.ac.uk

Economic prosperity increasingly depends on maintaining and further
expanding a resilient and sustainable manufacturing sector based on
sophisticated technologies, relevant knowledge and skill bases, and a
manufacturing infrastructure that has the ability to produce a high
variety of complex products faster, better, and cheaper. Manufacturing
competitiveness depends on maximising the utilisation of all available
resources, empowering human intelligence and creativity, and capturing
and capitalising on available information and knowledge for the whole
product life cycle. It requires an infrastructure that can quickly
respond to consumer and producer requirements, and minimise energy,
transport, materials, and resource usage while maximising
sustainability, safety, and economic competitiveness.

Manufacture and distribution of products in sectors such as automotive,
aerospace, pharmaceutical, and medical industries is a key production
process in high labour cost areas. To respond to the current challenges,
manufacturers need to transform current capital-intensive assembly lines
into smart systems that can react to external and internal changes and
can self-heal, self-adapt, self-organise, and reconfigure.

*** Workshop on Self-Improving System Integration ***
(SISSY 2014)

Monday, September 8th, 2014

http://www.informatik.uni-augsburg.de/lehrstuehle
/oc/Veranstaltungen/SISSY14/

Organizing Committee:
Kirstie Bellman, The Aerospace Corporation, Kirstie.L.Bellman at aero.org
Sven Tomforde, Universität Augsburg, Organic Computing Group,
sven.tomforde at informatik.uni-augsburg.de
Rolf P. Würtz, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Institute for Neural
Computation, rolf.wuertz at ini.rub.de
Please contact Sven Tomforde for all enquiries.

This workshop intends to focus on the important work of applying self-X
principles to the integration of “Interwoven Systems" (where an
"Interwoven System" is a system cutting across several technical domains,
combining traditionally engineered systems, systems making use of
self-X properties and methods, and human systems). The goal of the workshop
is to identify key challenges involved in creating self-integrating systems
and consider methods to achieve continuous self-improvement for this
integration process. The workshop specifically targets an interdisciplinary
community of researchers (i.e. from systems engineering, complex adaptive
systems, socio-technical systems, and the OC/AC domains) in the hope that
collective expertise from a range of domains can be leveraged to drive
forward research in the area.

--