[ecoop-info] Professor Position at University of Chile

Éric Tanter etanter at dcc.uchile.cl
Sat Sep 24 17:11:41 CEST 2016

Full-Time Academic Position
Computer Science Department, University of Chile
http://www.dcc.uchile.cl <http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/>
The Computer Science Department of the University of Chile (DCC) is offering a full-time permanent position to carry out research and teaching, at the undergraduate and graduate levels.

The DCC is the leading Computer Science Department in Chile, and one of the most active in Latin America. It pioneered the use of Unix and the adoption of the Internet in Chile. Today, it has 22 full-time professors, 10 of which come from Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium, France, and Ireland. We carry out high-quality research, publishing frequently in the most prestigious international conferences and journals. The DCC is in charge of the undergraduate Computer Science program within the Engineering Faculty of the University of Chile, reaching a thousand students in the first year of Engineering, and taking care of the CS specialization from the third year onward for over two hundreds students. Our MSc and PhD programs attract the best students from Latin America, with currently around fifty students in each program.

The DCC offers newcomers an individual office and necessary equipment, as well as a starting grant for initiating their research activities; further funding is then obtained permanently upon publications. This is usually complemented with funds from a personal research project obtained from Conicyt, the national research agency, and/or with funds from larger collaborative projects. An assistant professor can supervise students of any level and have a light administrative load. Professors in our department are expected to teach three courses per year; typically one of these courses is an elective that the professor can define according to his/her interests. The salary provided by the University is very competitive, and depends on the ranking (assistant, associate, full); it is complemented with research projects.

The successful candidate should be an active researcher with a PhD in Computer Science (or about to obtain it before starting the position). We are interested in any area of Computer Science, and both junior and senior researchers are welcome to apply. The candidate will be evaluated on the basis of both research and teaching activities, impact, as well as vision for the future.

Important Dates
We accept applications until November 30, 2016.
The expected starting date is March 1, 2017 (August 2017 at the latest).

Location
The DCC is located in Santiago de Chile. Santiago is the capital and largest city in Chile, with a lively cultural scene and delectable cuisine. It is located at the foothills of the Andes, with over 300 days of sun per year, and both ski slopes and the Pacific coast at a 1-hour drive. Santiago is well-connected through direct flights to major hubs in both Europe and the USA. Chile is a country with a lot to offer especially to nature lovers, with over 4,300 km of seashore and mountains, filled with stunning landscapes and national parks stretching from Patagonia to the Atacama desert.

For enquiries, please contact Prof. Gonzalo Navarro at gnavarro at dcc.uchile.cl <mailto:gnavarro at dcc.uchile.cl>