[ecoop-info] Open Research Engineering Position "Pharo IoT platform"

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 12:44:16 CET 2017

Inria RMoD is looking for a full-time engineer for helping with developing
Pharo in the context of IoT. The focus of this job is "Pharo on embedded
and mobile devices for the internet of things".

With Pharo, we have developed over the last two years an interactive,
remote development environment. It allows embedded, headless software
running on typical raspberry pi class hardware to be developed and debugged
in an interactive way. It allows programmers to explore and change running
headless embedded programs from their desktop development machine.

The next step will be to extend this infrastructure to cover the use case
of industrial use: Deployment. We want to build a middle-ware to manage,
authenticate and script deployed Pharo embedded installations.

The engineer will help to develop the Pharo IoT infrastructure, especially
with a focus on industrial use:

Improve Pharo for a platform with an industrial focus.
Work on a middleware to manage deployed Pharo instances.
Realize two small demos: First, as an industrial IoT example, a demo
deployed on 20+ devices. Demo 2: Pharo deployed on multiple mobile
autonomous robots.
Help with creating a website for PharoIOT.
We are looking for a candidate with some prior experience with Pharo.

In addition:

Knowledge in Dynamic Languages (Pharo is a plus but not required)
Experience with embedded development is a plus but not required
English
Work in a research lab, but no paper writing, no teaching, no
administration. In addition:

Centrally located (one hour from Paris, 1h20 from London, 35 min from
Brussels)
Try a lot of good beer (our office is just 10km from the border to Belgium)
Program with Pharo all day!
Lille is an active city but not expensive (lot of students...), centrally
located with good connections by train to everywhere (including CDG and
Brussels airports).
Duration: 12 Month
Starting date: Feb or March 2018
Salary: 2600-3200 euros brut / month, depending on experience
Explanation Salary: french brutto = money after social charges before
income tax, which is max one month income payed yearly, depending on family
situation (can be 0 for a family with kids). In addition, social charges
are payed by the employer (higher rate than e.g. germany), leading to ~
56000 Euros cost to the employer before any taxes/social charges.
Location: Lille (no remote job possible))
More about

Pharo: http://www.pharo.org
PharoThings: https://github.com/pharo-iot/PharoThings
INRIA RMOD: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr
INRIA Lille: http://www.inria.fr/lille
INRIA in General: http://www.inria.fr
Lille:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lille
  http://wikitravel.org/en/Lille

Do not hesitate to contact us for more information at:
  Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
  Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr

--

Guille Polito