[ecoop-info] Full-time faculty position in computer science - Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Coen DE ROOVER
Coen.De.Roover at vub.be
Tue Feb 20 17:52:51 CET 2018
The computer science department of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel is offering a full-time position as professor to reinforce its software languages and software engineering branch within the subjet area of "Static security guaranties for programming languages".
The position is published under the heading:
WE/2018/004 - Senior Academic Staff - 100% – Faculty of Sciences & Bioengineering Sciences - Computer Sciences
on the university's job offers website located at http://vub.talentfinder.be.
The planned starting date for this position is October 1st, 2018. Contract duration is 5 academic years, with view on a tenure track position after this period. The deadline for applying is April 27th, 2018. Applications should reach us through the website. The person to contact for further information is:
Director Research & Data Management
email: rd.secretariaat at vub.be
phone: +32 2 629 21 08
** Function **
The selected candidate has to reinforce the research of the Software Languages Lab (SOFT - http://soft.vub.ac.be) which focusses on ‘software language engineering’. The lab is active in programming language research and software engineering research. We are specifically looking for a candidate who has expertise in the static aspects of programming languages with a focus on security aspects. This includes designing static type systems (e.g., dependently typed languages), using automated proof assistants (e.g., Coq), writing secure compilers, secure virtual machines, etc.
The teaching assignment may include both general courses on bachelor or master level and more specialized courses on MA level. The exact course list will be negotiated with the candidate and will depend on his/her expertise and language skills.
The selected candidate will by preference endorse the tradition of the Software Language Lab to focus on languages for “software of the next generation” (i.e. concurrent, distributed, …). Moreover, candidates whose academic track record shows the ability to combine formal research with creating tangible artifacts are preferred over candidates whose expertise is limited to just one of these aspects.
The selected candidate will be part of the management structure of the Software Languages Lab and is expected to actively contribute to the operational aspects and to the further development of the lab. This implies the guidance of PhD and master students, but also starting new projects and applying for funding.
Appointment as lecturer for 5 years with view on a tenure track position as senior lecturer after this period.
** Profile **
- Ph.D. in Science or Engineering in the domain of Computer Science.
- The candidate can present a strong research portfolio that covers the expertise asked in the job description.
- The candidate has experience with guiding PhD and/or master students. He/she has a proven track record or demonstrable potential for launching new research and for seeking the funds to support it.
- The candidate should be able to teach in English and in Dutch (or willing to learn Dutch in a relatively short period).
- The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university website).
- Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Every first appointment is dependent upon the successful delivery of a teaching session.
** Additional Information **
- Applications should be submitted through
More information about the ecoop-info