[ecoop-info] Call for submissions PLoP 2021

Filipe Correia filipe.correia at fe.up.pt
Tue Jun 8 17:58:10 CEST 2021

*Call for submissions PLoP 202128th conference on Pattern Languages of
Programs*October 4-7, 2021. Online
https://www.hillside.net/plop/2021

The Pattern Languages of Programs conference is the premier event for
pattern authors and enthusiasts to gather, discuss, and learn more about
patterns, programming, and software development. The conference committee
is currently working hard on the planning to ensure that PLoP remains a
collaborative and engaging event with strong traditions. Running our
Writer’s Workshops, Focus Groups, and games in an online setting creates
new opportunities for the global patterns community to participate, and is
enabling new elements in our program. We are looking forward to receiving
your submissions and meeting you virtually this fall!

In addition to the conference, we are organizing also this year a
*PLoPourri*, a combination of events and activities to happen up to the
conference days, covering different phases of the lifecyle of patterns and
pattern languages, aimed to be held face-to-face, virtually, or in a hybrid
way, depending on the event, time and location constraints.

*Important Dates*

 ◾ PLoPourri proposals open, no due dates. April 4, 2021
 ◾ Paper submissions due. June 28, 2021
 ◾ Shepherding begins. July 5, 2021
 ◾ Registration opens. July 5, 2021
 ◾ Second draft due for review. August 9, 2021
 ◾ Notification of acceptance. August 13, 2021
 ◾ Deadline focus groups/workshop proposals. August 13, 2021
 ◾ Conference versions due. September 6, 2021
 ◾ Writers' Workshops. September 13-24, 2021
 ◾ PLoP Conference days. October 4-7, 2021
 ◾ Proceedings version due. December 7, 2021

*About PLoP*

Software developers and researchers have long observed that certain themes
recur and endure across different applications and different domains. In
1993 this emerging interest in software patterns and pattern languages
resulted in an effort to document and communicate these themes and to
provide handbooks of proven solutions to common problems. Thus, the PLoP
(Pattern Languages of Programs) conference came into existence – a
conference that is now entering its 28th year with PLoP 2021.

PLoP brings together practitioners and researchers whose interests span a
broad range of topics who share an interest in exploring the power of the
pattern form. While we began with only considering patterns of software,
the conference has grown beyond its roots to include many other areas of
pattern applicability, both inside and outside of software development.
PLoP invites you to add your expertise to the growing body of patterns. At
PLoP, we focus on improving the written expression of patterns through
writers’ workshops. You will have opportunities to refine and extend your
patterns with the assistance of knowledgeable and sympathetic patterns
enthusiasts and to work with others to develop pattern languages. And this
year, we will be conducting our workshops and writers’ activities online.
The new virtual format is designed to engage patterns enthusiasts—both
newcomers and patterns experts alike—in collaborative writing critiques,
discussions, online activities, and more.

*Submissions*

Paper submissions may include short papers containing one or more patterns,
longer pattern languages or sequences, or works in-progress by writers
wishing to get in-depth shepherding by an experienced author at the
conference. Patterns and pattern languages on other topics, essays on
patterns, and visions for the future are encouraged.

In addition, you may submit proposals for free-format discussion groups or
workshops bringing together people interested in a hot topic related to
patterns or proven practices—with a duration of about two hours.
Non-conventional formats are welcome.

Submissions should fall into one of the following categories:

*→ PLoP Spotlight Topic Groups (Papers)*

In the past, one of the most rewarding parts of PLoP has been in fostering
cooperation among domain experts who have an interest in collaborating.
Over time, we found the strongest pattern languages created during these
collaborations resulted in some solid examples such as programming
framework patterns (Java Spring), integration patterns (Enterprise
Integration Patterns), pedagogical patterns, organizational change patterns
(Fearless Change), and web services patterns.

This year we are specifically looking for people who want to collaborate in
the following Spotlight Topics. We invite submissions in the form of
patterns or papers about patterns written with a maximum of 10 pages (font
no smaller than 11pt).

Please submit to only one of the following six groups (and note this in
your comments to the committee):

 • Education: Education, training, and online learning.
 • Teams: Virtual teams, remote communication and collaboration.
 • Change: Innovation, change, and experimentation.
 • Modeling and Design: Domain modeling, EventStorming, Sociotechnical
design.
 • Software and systems: Progressive web apps, event-sourced architectures,
micro-services, security and IoT.
 • Other: if your paper doesn’t fit in any of the above, you are welcome to
submit to this group.

If you submit a paper and it is accepted, you agree to read and comment on
all the papers in that group prior to the conference, thus making it
possible to substantially improve the papers during the conference.

*→ PLoP Talks*

We also invite patterns enthusiasts to submit proposals for short
presentations on topics of interest to the patterns community. These talks
might be about updates on patterns and pattern languages, discussions of
specific patterns and their evolution, experiences using and applying
patterns, or experiences with writing, revising and shepherding patterns.
The above topics are suggestions, we encourage you to be creative and think
outside of the “box”.

*→ Focus Groups (Discussions)*

We also invite submissions for online working sessions where a topic is
introduced and participants get to collaborate and work together on filling
in knowledge or learning new pattern-related techniques. If you submit a
proposal for a focus group, be sure to include a description of the format
for the focus group as well as an abstract and proposed session outline.

*Submission Process*

The core of PLoP is the Writers' Workshop, where authors work together to
improve their papers. Before papers are accepted for a Writers' Workshop,
they are shepherded. Shepherding is an iterative process, where an
experienced author discusses the submission with its authors to refine the
paper prior to the conference. All submissions are peer-reviewed after
shepherding.

Following shepherding, papers may be accepted directly into a Writers'
Workshop or alternatively, into a Writing Group. Writing Group papers will
receive additional shepherding. Writing Group papers reaching a required
standard will be considered for inclusion in the conference proceedings.

The PLoP proceedings are published after the conference through the ACM
Digital Library. It is expected that papers submitted to PLoP will be
revised after receiving feedback. Papers discussed at a Writers' Workshop
at PLoP qualify for submission to the journal Transactions on Pattern
Languages of Programming published by Springer.

There is a three stage submission process for the conference:

 • Initial submissions are assessed for suitability. Papers judged suitable
are assigned a shepherd who will help its authors improve the paper.
 • Authors are expected to submit a second draft part way through the
shepherding process. After shepherding, each paper will be assessed for
quality and its authors' willingness to accept feedback. This review will
determine whether a paper is accepted to the conference for further review
either within a Writer’s Workshop or a Writing Group..
 • Authors with help of their shepherds are expected to continue revising
their paper until the final drafts are due. To submit your paper, please
visit the PLoP submission page. At least one of the authors of each
accepted paper must register for the conference. Failure to do so will
result in acceptance being withdrawn

To submit your paper, please visit:
http://www.hillside.net/plop/2021/submission. The final version of the
paper should be submitted in the PDF format (produced on a high-resolution
output device) on letter paper size (8 1/2" x 11") following the ACM single
column format. Initial submissions that don't follow the format will be
accepted, but the last version should follow the templates to be published
on the ACM library.

At least one of the authors of accepted papers are expected to register for
the conference. Failure to do so may result in acceptance being withdrawn.

I am looking forward to reading your submissions, learning about the
patterns that you have observed, and to meeting you virtually online.
Welcome to PLoP 2021!

On behalf of PLoP 2021 organizing team,

Ademar Aguiar
Program Chair