[ecoop-info] CFP: SiMPE Workshop at MobileHCI, Lisbon (Submission Deadline: May 7th)

Nitendra Rajput rnitendra at in.ibm.com
Tue Apr 6 13:27:18 CEST 2010

Call for Papers

        5th Workshop on Speech in Mobile and Pervasive Environments
                 (in conjunction with ACM MobileHCI 2010)
                             Lisbon, Portugal

                             September 7, 2010
                     http://research.ihost.com/SiMPE/

Organisers
   ·  Amit A. Nanavati, IBM Research, India.
   ·  Nitendra Rajput, IBM Research, India..
   ·  Alexander I. Rudnicky, Carnegie Mellon University, USA.
   ·  Markku Turunen, University of Tampere, Finland.
   ·  Andrew Kun, University of New Hampshire, USA.
   ·  Tim Paek, Microsoft Research, USA.
   ·  Ivan Tashev, Microsoft Research, USA.

Topics of Interest
All areas that enable, optimize or enhance speech in mobile and pervasive
environments and devices:
   v  Speech Interfaces/Applications for Developing Regions
   v  Speech User Interaction in Cars
   v  Multilingual Speech Recognition
   v  Robust Speech Recognition in Noisy and Resource-Constrained
      Environments
   v  Memory/Energy Efficient Algorithms
   v  Multimodal User Interfaces
   v  Protocols and Standards for Speech Applications
   v  Mobile Application Adaptation and Learning
   v  Design and Usability Testing of Mobile Interfaces
   v  User Modelling

Submissions
We seek original, unpublished papers in the following three categories:
(a) Position papers
(b) Early results or work-in-progress, or,
(c) Full papers.
Papers should be of 4-8 pages in length in the MobileHCI publication
format. The LaTeX and Microsoft Word templates are available at the ACM
Template site. All submissions should be in the PDF format and should be
submitted electronically through the workshop submission web site,
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=simpe10. The best paper
(extended if applicable) from the workshop will appear in a special issue
of the International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction (IJMHCI)!

Demo Submissions
At SiMPE 2010, we also invite submissions for interesting demos. Any
prototype or demos on the phone or a device are encouraged to for
submission. A 1-page description of the demonstration in the above format
is required by the submission deadline. The 1-page description should
provide specific details about the demo, the device and how this will be
presented at the workshop. If the authors needs specific arrangements to be
made at the workshop day, that also needs to be specified.

We also welcome participation without paper submission.

Note: Since the workshop also aims to be a meeting point for researchers
working in this area, at least one author of accepted papers has to attend
the workshop to present their work, else the paper will not be included in
the final workshop proceedings. Participants who wish to attend the
workshop will have to register for the main conference as well.

For any comments regarding submissions and participation, contact: namit AT
in DOT ibm DOT com, rnitendra AT in DOT ibm DOT com, andrew.kun AT unh DOT
com.

Seed Questions
   §  Speech Recognition
         o  How do we improve speech recognition in noisy environments ?
         o  How do we construct speech systems with small footprints of
            memory and power consumption ?
   §  Interaction
         o  How do we perform dialogue management when devices are
            multi-modal or users are multi-tasking ?
         o  How do we users converse with each other through mobile
            devices, and to mobile devices ?
         o  What is the right design methodology for developing speech
            applications ?
         o  What are the usability issues with speech on mobile devices ?
         o  Are there any cultural differences in the way different
            societies use speech on mobile devices ?
   §  Intelligence
         o  How can we make voice UIs flexible and adaptive ?
         o  How do we make such devices adapt automatically to the user,
            task and environment ?
         o  How can we leverage context (such as location) to make more
            intelligent UIs that reduce the cognitive burden of
            semi-literate/illiterate users ?
         o  Are there any novel and easier ways to handle multiple
            languages and dialects ?
         o  How do we construct speech systems with small footprints of
            memory and power consumption ?
         o  How can we distribute processing more efficiently given the
            increased available computing power on handhelds ? How do we
            trade this off with a remote server to conserve energy ?
         o  What are the right learning models for such settings ?
   §  Applications and Architectures
         o  What novel applications and services can be deployed on such
            devices ?
         o  What does the architecture of future systems looks like ?
         o  What kind of components and frameworks should be built to
            enable rapid application creation ?
         o  How can we design scalable speech applications?

Key Dates
   Ø  Submission Deadline: May 7, 2010 (11:59 PM Lisbon Time)
   Ø  Notification of Acceptance: May 21, 2010
   Ø  Early Registration Deadline: TBA
   Ø  Workshop:  9:00AM -- 5:30PM, September 7, 2010