[ecoop-info] Call for submissions: Doctoral Consortium at the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2013)
noy at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 18 01:49:40 CEST 2013
International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2013)
October 21-25, 2013
Call for Doctoral Consortium Submissions
The ISWC 2013 Doctoral Consortium will take place as part of the 12th International Semantic Web Conference in Sydney, Australia. This forum will provide PhD students an opportunity to share and develop their research ideas in a critical but supportive environment, to get feedback from mentors who are senior members of the Semantic Web research community, to explore issues related to academic and research careers, and ri build relationships with other Semantic Web PhD students from around the world. The Consortium aims to broaden the perspectives and to improve the research and communication skills of these students.
The Doctoral Consortium is intended for students who have a specific research proposal and some preliminary results, but who have sufficient time prior to completing their dissertation to benefit from the consortium experience. In the Consortium, the students will present their proposals and get specific feedback and advice on how to improve their research plan.
All proposals submitted to the Doctoral Consortium will undergo a thorough reviewing process with a view to providing detailed and constructive feedback. The international program committee will select the best submissions for presentation at the Doctoral Consortium and will be published in the conference proceedings.
We anticipate that students with accepted submissions at the Doctoral Consortium will receive travel fellowships to offset some of the travel costs.
The Consortium has the same scope of technical topics as the main ISWC conference
● Management of Semantic Web data and Linked Data
● Languages, tools, and methodologies for representing and managing Semantic Web data
● Database, IR, NLP and AI technologies for the Semantic Web
● Search, query, integration, and analysis on the Semantic Web
● Robust and scalable knowledge management and reasoning on the Web
● Cleaning, assurance, and provenance of Semantic Web data, services, and processes
● Semantic Web Services
● Semantic Sensor Web
● Semantic technologies for mobile platforms
● Evaluation of semantic web technologies
● Ontology engineering and ontology patterns for the Semantic Web
● Ontology modularity, mapping, merging, and alignment
● Ontology Dynamics
● Social and Emergent Semantics
● Social networks and processes on the Semantic Web
● Representing and reasoning about trust, privacy, and security
● User Interfaces to the Semantic Web
● Interacting with Semantic Web data and Linked Data
● Information visualization of Semantic Web data and Linked Data
● Personalized access to Semantic Web data and applications
● Semantic Web technologies for eGovernment, eEnvironment, eMobility or eHealth
● Semantic Web and Linked Data for Cloud environments
We ask the PhD students to submit an 8 page description of their PhD research proposal. The proposal text must have at least 8 sections (some can be very short), addressing each of the following questions:
1. Problem Statement: What problem are you trying to solve?
2. Relevancy: Why is the problem relevant?
3. Related Work: How have others attempted to address this problem?
4. Research Questions: What are the research questions that you plan to address?
5. Hypotheses: What hypotheses are related to you research questions?
6. Approach: How are you planning to address your research questions and test your hypotheses?
7. Reflections: Why do you think you will succeed where others failed?
8. Evaluation plan: How will you measure your success - faster/more accurate/less failures/etc.?
Submissions must be in pdf and be formatted according to the Springer Publications format for Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS).
• Paper Submission: June 8, 2013, 11:59pm Hawaii time
• Notifications: July 1, 2013
• Camera-Ready Versions: August 5, 2013
• Doctoral Consortium: October 22, 2013
• Conference: October 21-25, 2013
More information about the ecoop-info