[ecoop-info] Call for Papers: 3rd FoCAS Workshop on Fundamentals of Collective Adaptive Systems (FoCAS at SASO 2015)

Giacomo Cabri giacomo.cabri at unimore.it
Thu Jun 4 10:25:09 CEST 2015

3rd FoCAS Workshop on Fundamentals of Collective Adaptive Systems

Monday 21st September @ SASO 2015, Boston, USA
Submission hard deadline is July 11, 2015
Paper Acceptance Notification: July 31, 2015
Camera Ready: August 10, 2015

Workshop Best Student Paper Award: Prize 500EUR!

Workshop website: http://www.focas.eu/saso-2015

--------
Call for Papers

Collective Adaptive Systems (CAS) is a broad term that describes large
scale systems that comprise of many
units/nodes, each of which may have their own individual properties,
objectives and actions. Decision-
making in such a system is distributed and possibly highly dispersed,
and interaction between the units may
lead to the emergence of unexpected phenomena. CASs are open, in that
nodes may enter or leave the
collective at any time, and boundaries between CASs are fluid. The units
can be highly heterogeneous
(computers, robots, agents, devices, biological entities, etc.), each
operating at different temporal and
spatial scales, and having different (potentially conflicting)
objectives and goals, even if often the system
has a global goal that is pursued by means of collective actions. Our
society increasingly depends on such
systems, in which collections of heterogeneous ‘technological’ nodes are
tightly entangled with human and
social structures to form ‘artificial societies’. Yet, to properly
exploit them, we need to develop a deeper
scientific understanding of the principles by which they operate, in
order to better design them. This
workshop solicits papers that address new methodologies, theories and
principles that can be used in order
to develop a better understanding of the fundamental factors
underpinning the operation of such systems,
so that we can better design, build, and analyse such systems.

We welcome inter-disciplinary approaches.

--------
Topics

Suggested Topics (but not limited to):

-Novel theories relating to operating principles of CAS
-Novel design principles for building CAS systems
-Insights into the short and long term adaptation of CAS systems
-Insights into Emergent Properties of CAS
-Insights into general properties of large scale, distributed CAS
-Methodologies for studying, analysing and building CAS
-Frameworks for analysing or developing CAS Case studies
-Scenarios that can be used to investigate CAS properties

--------
Submission

Submission deadline is 11 July 2015

The length of a workshop paper may not exceed 6 pages including
references and follow the IEEE Computer Society Press proceedings style
guide.

All papers should be submitted in PDF format using this EasyChair login
page for FoCAS 2015:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=focassaso15

By submitting a paper, the authors confirm that in case of acceptance,
at least one author will attend the workshop to present the work.

--------
FoCAS Best Student Paper Award

The FoCAS Coordination Action is also presenting a best student paper
award. The prize is worth
500 EUR to reimburse travel and accommodation costs associated with
attending the workshop. This Best Student Paper
Award is open to any student who is first author of a paper submitted to
the FoCAS workshop at SASO 2015.
Winning announcements will be made on 21 September at the workshop and
posted at www.focas.eu.
The submission deadline is 11 July 2015

--------
Organization

Program Chairs
Giacomo Cabri (University of Modena & Reggio Emilia:
giacomo.cabri at unimore.it)
Nicola Capodieci (University of Modena & Reggio Emilia:
nicola.capodieci at unimore.it)
Jennifer Willies (Edinburgh Napier university: j.willies at napier.ac.uk)

Full workshop details are available at: http://www.focas.eu/saso-2015

--