[ecoop-info] 1 open PhD position in software evolution and software testing

Andy Zaidman - EWI A.E.Zaidman at tudelft.nl
Thu Jun 4 14:58:27 CEST 2015

1 PhD position in software evolution and software testing

Software Engineering Research Group (SERG)
Delft University of Technology
the Netherlands

In the NWO TestRoots project 1 PhD position is available.

With software applications becoming ever more important in our daily lives,
we are relying on the assumption that this software is reliable. Software
testing is an important means to ensure this reliability, however, a 2002 study reports
that software failures cost the US economy $59.5 billion annually. This indicates a
lack of testing, which can be explained by the high cost of testing. The
TestRoots project aims to leverage knowledge of software failures that occur during
the software development phase to be able to improve software testing on the one
hand and ease software evolution on the other hand.

A number of research questions that this project aims to solve are:
- How does developer testing happen in open source and industrial projects?
- How can we improve test-related decisions with historical data on test
failures?
- How can we stimulate learning from past failures?
- How can we create traceability links between levels of testing?
- How can we enable test management during evolution?

Requirements for candidates include:
- A MSc degree in software engineering or a very closely related field.
- Broad experience and interest in the area of software engineering.
- Good communicator, strong social skills, team player.
- Independent working style.
- A good knowledge of English is an absolute must.
- Not afraid to learn.
- Being able to work both individually, but also in a team.

The application deadline is June 15th, 2015. Detailed instructions on how
to apply are available at: http://www.testroots.org

For any questions regarding these positions, contact Andy Zaidman
(a.e.zaidman at tudelft.nl<mailto:a.e.zaidman at tudelft.nl>)

For more information about the Software Engineering Research Group, please
visit: http://www.se.ewi.tudelft.nl/