[ecoop-info] Funded PhD positions in social networks, distributed systems, and middleware at the University of Oslo

Roman Vitenberg romanvi at ifi.uio.no
Tue Mar 17 17:52:01 CET 2015

The group of Networks and Distributed systems
at the Department of Informatics, University of Oslo
is announcing two PhD scholarships. One of the position is
in the area of privacy in social networks while the other position
is about building new generation middleware and distributed
applications that utilize the rich set of transport protocols
available today.

*** The closing date for applications is April 13, 2015. ***

Full version of this announcement including detailed information
about the project, positions, and application procedures
can be found using the following links:

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~romanvi/openings-2015.html
http://uio.easycruit.com/vacancy/1352815/64290?iso=no
http://uio.easycruit.com/vacancy/1352871/64290?iso=no

WHAT WE OFFER IN A NUTSHELL

A strong research environment. Our students won best paper
and best demo awards at several conferences. Our alumni are
employed by IBM Research, Microsoft, Spotify, and highly
reputable academic institutions in Europe.

Opportunities for research stays with our renowned collaborators
worldwide (see more information on the web site).

Well-paid PhD positions, in a country that has been ranked
by the UN as having the highest standard of living in the world.
The work is in a smart futuristic building that has won multiple awards.

HOST INSTITUTION AND ENVIRONMENT

The University of Oslo is Norway's largest and oldest
institution of higher education. Founded in 1811, today
the University of Oslo has approx. 30,000 students and
4,600 employees. Four Nobel Prize winners and two Turing
award recipients indicate the quality of the research
at the University in general and at the Department of
Informatics in particular.

SUITABLE BACKGROUND AND REQUIREMENTS

Applicants must have a degree in Computer Science, or in a
related study, with excellent results. They must also be able
to demonstrate interest in scientific research. The evaluation
considers different aspects of excellence, as well as the personal
drive and organizational skills. The ideal candidate for the
position will have strong background in distributed computing.

You may apply if you have not yet completed your degree, but
expect to do so before the position starts.

University of Oslo is an equal opportunity employer.

Knowledge of Norwegian is not a prerequisite for application.
English is our working language for research.
PhD students and postdocs in our group have been
coming from more than 10 different countries.

We expect the candidate to be internationally oriented and
willing to do, for example, summer internships abroad.